• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Outdoor print rating for flatbed

richsweeney

We are looking at getting a flatbed, and stratojet says their prints are rated for 2 years not laminated. Is that average? Our HP latex can take full sun for 3 years or more.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Latex inks and UV inks are two different type of inksets.

Oce/Canon give 3 years outdoors.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
There is very little standardization in outdoor life testing. Most of the time frames given are estimates based on real-world experience.

For example our most common screen ink is only rated for 1 year Outdoors, but we have seen it last in Sunny environments for 5 years or more. Black lasts even longer.

It also depends heavily on the color and saturation.

I'm sorry my post isn't actually all that helpful. I just want everyone to realize that there are so many variables when it comes to printing, no one can honestly give you a true outdoor life span across all variants.

Zach Starr

Head of Printing Operations
We are looking at getting a flatbed, and stratojet says their prints are rated for 2 years not laminated. Is that average? Our HP latex can take full sun for 3 years or more.
For most UV Printing its similar between 2-3 years without lamination. But the average depends on the outdoor conditions, material quality and weather. I am surprised to hear latex can do 3 years. I think its similar too, as they also recommend getting lamination done if you would be keeping out for a longer period. I am using the Stratojet Shark printer for a while now (about 4 years), not had any issues in regards to outdoor durability for yard signs.

But even if the rating say 2 years or 3 years, on regular conditions you would notice prints lasting for even 4 years with having a huge quality difference, as most companies they rate the fading from the point colors starts to fade more than 4%, but to us fading point is much more than that.

From my experience moving to UV from Latex, I have felt UV has more durability than latex for rigid surfaces. With Latex had alot of restrictions on substrates.

richsweeney

The printer I meant to say is a HP 360 and 365 roll printer. I have our first sample on our north facing window, (not heavy weather side) and it still looks decent from 2011. We just signed the papers for the Stratojet shark 2512.
How many passes do you use for yard signs? We are starting off with just 2 heads and one for white/clear.