• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

over silicone joints on a trailer

MP Custom

Hi everyone.. Hope your weekend is awesome!
I am quoting on a trailer that looks to be ACM with silicone joins.. Will be a normal vinyl. ( Not Cast) for the logo. (yes Laminated) The rest cut coloured vinyl.
Print is on this
  • Grafiprint S54P Gloss White Blockout Special Blend
I have told the client that we should Knife tape the joins where the vinyl will cover the silicone. Leaving a gap.
Any other options?
Thank you to everyone.. This forum is frigging awesome for a bloke in the middle of ButtF**k nowhere, Queensland

Attachments

• Trailer closeup.jpg
    Trailer closeup.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Trailer closeup artwork.jpg
    Trailer closeup artwork.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 237

ikarasu

Your best looking, but obviously most expensive option is to remove the silicone first. Clean it up with a good silicone remover like Rapid prep, vinyl over it...then use a clear silicone overtop. IMO, that way always looks better than leaving big gaps, especially when the silicone has yellowed that much.

If you go your route be careful when laying the vinyl. the second it touches silicone, any part that has touched wont adhere anymore... especially with that silicone job where its smeared everywhere. So it's best to cut a straight line out of the silicone as close as you can, clean it, then lay down the vinyl.

Both ways are a lot more work than just cutting a big gap out of it... but I think a big gap always looks the ugliest, so its good to at least present the option to them and see if theyre willing to pay for it.

MP Custom

Your best looking, but obviously most expensive option is to remove the silicone first. Clean it up with a good silicone remover like Rapid prep, vinyl over it...then use a clear silicone overtop. IMO, that way always looks better than leaving big gaps, especially when the silicone has yellowed that much.

If you go your route be careful when laying the vinyl. the second it touches silicone, any part that has touched wont adhere anymore... especially with that silicone job where its smeared everywhere. So it's best to cut a straight line out of the silicone as close as you can, clean it, then lay down the vinyl.

Both ways are a lot more work than just cutting a big gap out of it... but I think a big gap always looks the ugliest, so its good to at least present the option to them and see if theyre willing to pay for it.
Thank you so Much Mate!
I do get what you are saying.. And yes.. I know what silicone does to vinyl!!.. Client has said he will remove the silicone overlap... Gaps are only 5mm between panels..

Yeahgor

Born to be The Designer.
I agree with @ikarasu before laying the vinyl you should remove silicone from sims and after wrapping the vinyl, you will cover the stay open sims with new silicone.
However any issues with crossing sims you can reduce much more in the designing. As I see design is not so complicated so you can move all parts and distribute them with minimum sim crossing. Just spend a few minutes more in designing and save hours in installation.

MP Custom

I agree with @ikarasu before laying the vinyl you should remove silicone from sims and after wrapping the vinyl, you will cover the stay open sims with new silicone.
However any issues with crossing sims you can reduce much more in the designing. As I see design is not so complicated so you can move all parts and distribute them with minimum sim crossing. Just spend a few minutes more in designing and save hours in installation.
Noted! and good advise.. Thank you

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Just run a razor down the panels to cut it at the laps and peel it off. Then use some wax/grease remover from a paint supply house. Not a big deal.
You said buttf**ck, I'm surprised tex didn't jump in yet.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Hey Yeahgor... swap the colors around on "sign & design shop" in your logo.

And get someone to proof read your website. Sounds like ESL so you might need some assistance there.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Why do people insist on using calendared vinyl for vehicle graphics? It will shrink in a year and leave dirt rings around all your graphics. When you have to remove it, it will leave half the adhesive behind, and if you're in a cold climate, it will tent over the rivets and crack.

That trailer is a mess, and it isn't easy to get all the silicone off. I would have a talk with the customer about how much it will cost to remove it and the damage it may cause, then give them options.

Several hours of my time will cost a lot, and that trailer looks old, oxidized, and rusty. Is it really worth it, let your customer decide? You will have to cut the seams with a knife. Scrape the silicone with a plastic razor blade, scrub it with 91% alcohol or higher, and or mineral spirits, xylol (listed most aggressive to least, which will soften the silicon). All while trying not to rub off the thin layer of oxidized paint. It would be best if you wiped it with prep sol, a wax, grease, silicone remover, and reclean the graphic areas with alcohol. I guess that the trailer leaked like a sieve, so after installing the graphics, you will have to reapply silicone. All that work will cost as much as the graphics, and you will probably damage the paint as well.

The cheaper option and fitting for a trailer of this condition is to put some adhesive promoter on the silicone and graphic right over it. It will last longer than doing nothing but a lot cheaper than detailing a trailer in this condition and worrying about ruining the paint.