• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PDF Not Importing to Flexi Correctly

Angela Hornback

Premium Subscriber
My set up is an HP 315 with HP Flexi. I am trying to import a Buildboard PDF file created by Arcadia (software that creates full scale wiring harness schematics) we print those on banner to make wiring harness buildboards. But I am having issues importing the PDF files. they do not import correctly they will change lines, fonts colors and in some cases omit part of the print. We tried to do a JPG but lost significant print quality and some text was not legible. Some of the PDF are 197 inches long by 45 inches, with a lot going on. I was using AI to open the PDF then convert to an EPS but is also causing issues when putting the file into Flexi. I also have Corel and it wont open the PDF correctly either. Anyone have any experience with buildboards? or similar? I apologize but due to company policy I cant post the PDF due to product confidentiality. but some of these files are 95,500 KB.

weyandsign

In AI, try exporting it as PNG @ 1200 PPI. If it can't handle it, try 600 PPI. If that doesn't work try JPG @ 600 or 1200 ppi. I think you're going to have to get it rasterized one way or another before putting it into Flexi.

Angela Hornback

Premium Subscriber
In AI, try exporting it as PNG @ 1200 PPI. If it can't handle it, try 600 PPI. If that doesn't work try JPG @ 600 or 1200 ppi. I think you're going to have to get it rasterized one way or another before putting it into Flexi.
The highest PPI I could get it to save at is 150. anything higher gave me an error.

Last edited:

weyandsign

Tell the person that's creating the drawing in Arcadia to provide you with a high resolution rasterized image. Or see if you can import the PDF directly into production manager.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Open with Photoshop and save as a flattened tif image at about 125dpi. That should maintain good clarity without the jpg compression.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
At 100% size, the image can be saved at 72dpi and come out just fine in print. I've been doing that for over a decade, also having had worked for a signage wholesaler years ago. Bring the pic directly into Production Manager, not FlexiSign and see what it does. If the PDF changes color, text, sizing, etc., even after bringing the file in, I'd look into the software converting it and/or perhaps bring it into AI or PS and then saving the file in another format.

Drip Dry

My set up is an HP 315 with HP Flexi. I am trying to import a Buildboard PDF file created by Arcadia (software that creates full scale wiring harness schematics) we print those on banner to make wiring harness buildboards. But I am having issues importing the PDF files. they do not import correctly they will change lines, fonts colors and in some cases omit part of the print. We tried to do a JPG but lost significant print quality and some text was not legible. Some of the PDF are 197 inches long by 45 inches, with a lot going on. I was using AI to open the PDF then convert to an EPS but is also causing issues when putting the file into Flexi. I also have Corel and it wont open the PDF correctly either. Anyone have any experience with buildboards? or similar? I apologize but due to company policy I cant post the PDF due to product confidentiality. but some of these files are 95,500 KB.
All the above answers are the way to go BUT... not sure what version of flexi your using but, lower versions of flexi were notorious for importing it wrong. I think the higher subscription versions do a better job.
We used to ask the customer to resave the file to a high res JPG. That always seemed to work

Aaron Hunter

Do you have Acrobat Pro? If so, export out as an EPS from the native PDF. File>Export to. Sounds like this was exported from CAD with all of the views?
***Edit: What are your physical dimensions of the final output? As JBurton mentioned below most software will have art board restrictions based on what versions of PDF they allow you to export as. Since we deal with more press work than large format and signage we will typically save as an X-1a:2001 Version 4 which kills anything over 119" to 10% scale. Using Version 6 or higher I can get the full art board (227" +/-) .

Last edited:

JBurton

Signtologist
What is a buildboard? At first I thought we were talking billboards, but why someone wants to print a billboard of a wiring harness is beyond me.
At any rate, I'm pretty sure most software will limit pdf's to 200"x200", try reducing the file to 50%, import, then increase the size within flexi.

AHornback

Thank you everyone. I was able to rasterize it and get it to print.
A buildboard is a wiring harness printed to scale so that it can be overlayed with real wire to make harness. easier than measuring each wire to route them.

AHornback

What is a buildboard? At first I thought we were talking billboards, but why someone wants to print a billboard of a wiring harness is beyond me.
At any rate, I'm pretty sure most software will limit pdf's to 200"x200", try reducing the file to 50%, import, then increase the size within flexi.
Build board is a full size schematic that can be used to route real wires for making a wiring harness. lay the red wire over the red lines to the end no need to measure if the print is to scale. then add connector that is called out. creating the harness.

JBurton

Signtologist
Holy cow! I can see this being useful, but now you got me wondering what the fudge somebody needs a 4'x20' wiring harness for. As I think about it, it could be something as simple as a trailer (god knows my guys would need this to get the wiring right), but I'll assume it's something way cooler and more complicated like a UAV fuselage or some jazz.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
Try a saving it at 19.7"x4.5" @ 720dpi. Bring it directly into photoshop and stretch it to 197"x45" @ 72dpi and it should print clear.

Aaron Hunter

Holy cow! I can see this being useful, but now you got me wondering what the fudge somebody needs a 4'x20' wiring harness for. As I think about it, it could be something as simple as a trailer (god knows my guys would need this to get the wiring right), but I'll assume it's something way cooler and more complicated like a UAV fuselage or some jazz.
If I had to guess...HUGMUNGOUS digital displays :oops:

FrankW

Sometimes problems can happen when Flexi tries to import fonts or graphics to be editable, and so on.

If you have problems importing that file into the Flexi Editor, and just need to print the file (no need to change the image except perhaps scaling and so on), you can load the file directly into production manager for printing. it is more save. Double-Clicking on the job entry in the queue will offer a lot of settings (no editing of the drawing itself).

If you only need to add something, you can link the PDF instead of loading it editable. When open the file, in the box where you select your file you have a „link“-checkbox. If checked, only a preview of the job is shown in the editor (no possibility to modify the graphic), you can add your stuff, and when printing Flexi uses your stuff together with the original untouched PDF.