• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop Rasterize greyed out

mcdodd

Hi, I have to rasterize part of an image and keep the text layer solid but when I import the vector file created in Illustrator on layers as either rgb eps or psd when I select the layer to be halftoned the rasterize option is greyed out? I have tried all sorts of combinations to get it to work but it still stays greyed out? It's driving me mad now....please help!!!!!
Using latest versions of Adobe software..

Val47

Hi, I have to rasterize part of an image and keep the text layer solid but when I import the vector file created in Illustrator on layers as either rgb eps or psd when I select the layer to be halftoned the rasterize option is greyed out? I have tried all sorts of combinations to get it to work but it still stays greyed out? It's driving me mad now....please help!!!!!
Using latest versions of Adobe software..
Can you upload the file?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Do you have the correct layer selected when trying to rasterize?
I just tested this here on Photoshop 2020 and it seems to work okay... tested rasterizing a Vector Smart Object layer pasted into it's own layer from Illustrator.

mcdodd

many thanks for replies, here is the wetransfer link to files..
I am starting to work with DTF printers and white toner printers and some artwork requires creating halftones for negative space making the final print much better feel on the garment.
It is only the circle and detail layer that requires the halftone, the text is to stay solid.

Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
I downloaded the file and checked it.
It is grayed out because it is already rasterized. It is not a vector/smart object anymore.

mcdodd

I downloaded the file and checked it.
It is grayed out because it is already rasterized. It is not a vector/smart object anymore.
Hi, many thanks for your reply. So how do I save from Illustrator without it being rasterized please? I've tried exporting as eps, as psd all with maintain layers. I've even opened the eps in coreldraw and exported that way..still I can't rasterize the content or enable rasterise! I must be missing a step somewhere..I know it's possible...

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Hi, many thanks for your reply. So how do I save from Illustrator without it being rasterized please? I've tried exporting as eps, as psd all with maintain layers. I've even opened the eps in coreldraw and exported that way..still I can't rasterize the content or enable rasterise! I must be missing a step somewhere..I know it's possible...
So if you want an AI or EPS file opened in Photoshop and have it still be vector and not raster, you need to open the AI or EPS in Illustrator, select what you want / need and copy it. Go into Photoshop and paste it there. Once you hit paste an option box will come up, select pixels if you want it pasted and rasterized, or smart object if you want it to stay vector for scaling purposes. You can later right click the smart object layer and rasterize from there. Please also note that when zooming in on a smart object, it doesn't have the nice crisp lines of a vector object like it does in Illustrator, it looks like it is rasterized. However if you go to transform it (ctrl +t) to scale it will keep the quality like a vector object.

As far as I know there isn't a way to open an eps in Photoshop and keep it as a smart object. If there is I would love to know about it!

mcdodd

So if you want an AI or EPS file opened in Photoshop and have it still be vector and not raster, you need to open the AI or EPS in Illustrator, select what you want / need and copy it. Go into Photoshop and paste it there. Once you hit paste an option box will come up, select pixels if you want it pasted and rasterized, or smart object if you want it to stay vector for scaling purposes. You can later right click the smart object layer and rasterize from there. Please also note that when zooming in on a smart object, it doesn't have the nice crisp lines of a vector object like it does in Illustrator, it looks like it is rasterized. However if you go to transform it (ctrl +t) to scale it will keep the quality like a vector object.

As far as I know there isn't a way to open an eps in Photoshop and keep it as a smart object. If there is I would love to know about it!
Hi many thanks for your reply.
I have just tried your suggestion and it won't enable the rasterize options still? please see the attached screengrab

Attachments

• allmark_rasterize.png
    allmark_rasterize.png
    322.4 KB · Views: 221

Adam Vreeke

Hi many thanks for your reply.
I have just tried your suggestion and it won't enable the rasterize options still? please see the attached screengrab
If you do it that way select the Smart Object option. When you go in this way it is asking you what you want to rasterize, so in this instance it is the smart object.

You can also select Layer, which will rasterize the layer you currently have selected.
You can also select All Layers which if you have multiple smart Objects will rasterize all at one time.

The way I like to do it is if you go to your actual layers (bottom right portion of your screen shot) where it says 'Layers' 'Channels" 'Paths'. If you right click on the Smart Object layer there, it will give you an option of 'Rasterize Layer'

Last edited:

mcdodd

If you do it that way select the Smart Object option. When you go in this way it is asking you what you want to rasterize, so in this instance it is the smart object.

You can also select Layer, which will rasterize the layer you currently have selected.
You can also select All Layers which if you have multiple smart Objects will rasterize all at one time.

The way I like to do it is if you go to your actual layers (bottom right portion of your screen shot) where it says 'Layers' 'Channels" 'Paths'. If you right click on the Smart Object layer there, it will give you an option of 'Rasterize Layer'
Hi, many thanks for your message. Thanks you, I can do that but I don't get any options to fill the layer with dots etc?

Adam Vreeke

Hi, many thanks for your message. Thanks you, I can do that but I don't get any options to fill the layer with dots etc?
You need to do this yourself. Select Layer in your layer panel. Up at top go to Filter > Pixelate > Halftone. There will be a bunch of options to choose from you will need to play with settings to get it just how you want it.

Found a good step by step tutorial for you.

mcdodd

You need to do this yourself. Select Layer in your layer panel. Up at top go to Filter > Pixelate > Halftone. There will be a bunch of options to choose from you will need to play with settings to get it just how you want it.

Found a good step by step tutorial for you.
thank you for your help.
It does seem to be a workaround but I still cannot enable the rasterize option no mater what format and way I import or open a design..;(

mcdodd

Do you have the correct layer selected when trying to rasterize?
I just tested this here on Photoshop 2020 and it seems to work okay... tested rasterizing a Vector Smart Object layer pasted into it's own layer from Illustrator.
thank you for your reply. Can you then select Rasterize>Fill content etc?

Val47

Hi, thank you for your reply. Files uploaded.
I saw that. Sorry I haven't had time to engage much the past few days. I haven't had a chance to investigate, but some very knowledgeable members of this forum have chimed in. If they aren't helping you, I'm Not sure what I can add to this.

Adam Vreeke

thank you for your help.
It does seem to be a workaround but I still cannot enable the rasterize option no mater what format and way I import or open a design..;(
So I downloaded your wetransfer file and opened your PS file. Everything in there is already rasterized, which is why it is grayed out and you can't select it.

Lets do a quick review to make sure we are on the same page of things:
- Raster means basically made out of Pixels (designing in Photoshop)
- Vector means basically made out of math formulations (designing in Illustrator)
- Opening a file from photoshop (even if it is a vector EPS) will automatically rasterize the image
- To get a vectorized smart object in Photoshop you either need to right click the layer convert to smart object (if you see this option your layer is rasterized and you will see a weird page like icon in the bottom right on the preview of your layers.
-You can also copy a vector object from Illustrator and paste in photoshop and select what option you want after you paste it.
- To rasterize an image it first must be a smart object to rasterize, if the option is grayed out, then it is already rasterized

Just from what I can see I think you are trying to rasterize an already raster image via opening the EPS file in Photoshop. Have you tried to do what you need to do with it without trying to rasterize the image first?

mcdodd

So I downloaded your wetransfer file and opened your PS file. Everything in there is already rasterized, which is why it is grayed out and you can't select it.

Lets do a quick review to make sure we are on the same page of things:
- Raster means basically made out of Pixels (designing in Photoshop)
- Vector means basically made out of math formulations (designing in Illustrator)
- Opening a file from photoshop (even if it is a vector EPS) will automatically rasterize the image
- To get a vectorized smart object in Photoshop you either need to right click the layer convert to smart object (if you see this option your layer is rasterized and you will see a weird page like icon in the bottom right on the preview of your layers.
-You can also copy a vector object from Illustrator and paste in photoshop and select what option you want after you paste it.
- To rasterize an image it first must be a smart object to rasterize, if the option is grayed out, then it is already rasterized

Just from what I can see I think you are trying to rasterize an already raster image via opening the EPS file in Photoshop. Have you tried to do what you need to do with it without trying to rasterize the image first?
Hi, thank you for all your help..
I am trying to achieve the effect in the video but keep the text part of the Team Allmark design solid..

Last edited:

Adam Vreeke

Untitled-1.jpg

Ok so, you have your graphic and text separated into different layers which is perfect. I watched the video and got the gist of it, but there weren't English CC so I couldn't quite understand him 100%. So some general tips to help you where you may be going wrong.

When doing any sort of adjustments i.e. brightness, contrast, hue, saturation etc. DO NOT do it in the image tab, doing so this way is permanent and adjusts the whole image. ALWAYS go to Layer > New Adjustment Layer. Doing this will create a new layer with the adjustments that can be moved in a different order. And by going to Window > Properties will bring up a very very helpful window. You can readjust the settings and most importantly in the bottom right of my screenshot circled in red is a button that will make this layer apply to ONLY the layer directly below it (this was in the tutorial you shared). So if you put the circle and body outline on 1 layer and did a layer adjust and clicked that button it will apply to the circle and body and not the text. The only way to get that option is to do a Layer adjust have this layer selected, have the properties window open and click it. Unfortunately this will need to be done for any and all layer adjustments you want applied to the badge and not the text.