• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pip problems

Peter Martins

Recently callout to fit pip sensor on 360.

We have done this many times.

On this occassion the bag had broken.

we fitted the new sensor and cartridge, cleared broken bag error set the numbers up for the new pip.

It errored again. When we looked the air pipe going to the pip sensor had ink in it.

There was no apparent ink in the air pipes before we fitted. I can only assume the pip sensor was faulty.

Anybody had this before?
Hard to see that it's something we did wrong.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Two possibilities. Either you had ink somewhere hidden in the air line (I say 99% possibility) and now it entered the PIP again when you pressurise the system few times.
2nd, the new cartridge broke (low chance).

So next time just be 10000% sure there is zero ink in the air line anywhere. When the bag breaks it can push the ink very far in the air line and when it falls down the air lines become clear again. So it can sort of fool you.

Now just clean the airline real good with pressured air and you can also clean the PIP air side with pressured air.
Then insert new cartridge and clear the error. It will work again. No need to replace the PIP.

Short answer: Ink doesn't just appear from nowhere. Either it was in the air line or the new cartridge broke.

I cleaned this machine only with air pressure and inserted new cartidge. No PIPs replaced and it works like a dream again.
And you can see there is ink just everywhere.

8473ut4oiagy4.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Martins

Thanks for your reply.
We took off the pip sensor took it apart and cleaned it out, dried it and put it back, with a new cartridge.

That worked

I agree ink could have been hidden in the air tubes, but I think not. The air pipes looked clean And no ink in any other pipe.

I did some work on the cartridge bag. There was ink in the outer chamber which we cleared out. There seemed to no evidence of a leak from the bag after that.

I suspect the new pip itself leaked, and rebuilding it sorted it. Though this also seems very unlikely.