• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Please read if your are considering Arlon GTX

speedmedia

Ok, I have had the same problem not only with the 4560 GTX but the 6000 as well. I was using fully to spec as well as allowing the proper outgassing. Almost ever job I have done with these vinyls they had to be redone. It's funny didn't have anything come back when using the other materials.

I did in fact contact Arlon and my rep at Wensco and they reimbursed me via a credit to Wensco for the larger jobs that failed. This stuff the vinyl separates from the adhesive.

It is weird to me that some jobs are just fine and others aren't. Case in point we partial wrapped 2 identical vehicle with the same thing, same installer , same process etc. One failed after 3 months and the other looks like brand new a year later. The stuff is very inconsistent. I have several more jobs recently that have come back from the time we where using the ARLON. Never again. Back to Orcal and 3M where I have never had a failure that wasn't my own fault.

Thanks,
Kurt

some interesting comments. BigFish...i love you man but (Behold the Underlying Truth) we are all in DEEP DOO-DOO if we are relying on the advice of most of the sales reps in our industry...I wish I could say something other than that and I wish that wasn't reality...but reality is that the majority of the people that are selling the products we all use on a daily basis don't know a thing about them, to everyone if you have a supply house with knowledgeable salespeople with industry experience they can be a valuable resource, if you have sales reps that simply answer the phone and don't know a thing about what they are selling other than the product name and inventory number MAKE CERTAIN you are doing your own research, testing, etc..or you are going to encounter problems at some point from following advice from people who don't know what they are talking about.

In my experience as an end user and as someone who sold arlon products for many years they are a stand up company, if the failure is their fault (and there are a few statements made that make me wonder if there are not some other issues that need to be considered) but "IF" it is their fault I would be extremely surprised if they didn't own it and make the situation correct.

The reality is that most people do not follow manufacturer's recommendations to the letter..they fudge drying times, they stack graphics, heck there are even some films that they don't want installed horizontally (like on the hood or roof of a vehicle) most people don't even read the recommendations let alone follow them. . . most do what they neeed to do to get the project at hand done with the materials on hand. There are some materials that have proven themselves to be extremely forgiving and you can get away with things you can't with other materials...and then there are materials that you'd better not venture outside of the recommended product useage or it is going to fail.

Know your products. Test your products. If you are wanting to switch products because of cost, or local availability, whatever the reason...do some testing BEFORE you are sending projects out the door for paying customers. I know shops that are constantly testing new materials, with samples submerged in buckets of water, mounted to the side of their building and swatches applied to various areas of their company vehicles and they will not use a product for sometimes a year or two until a product has proven itself to meet their high standards. Is it overkill? in some instances I would say some of the tests are extreme, but I assure you these companies that in some cases have been around for 50 yrs with well established reputations, they'd rather error on the side of caution than to save a few hundred bucks a month only to have to replace jobs and regain customer confidence.

cartoad

This has been a great thread, Flame, sorry to hear about all your problems with the Arlon, We have been using it as our backbone for over 2 years for our intermediate printing, and have had zero problems with it. We use it for a lot of flat signs, with the Arlon laminate and am happy with it. And no we do not always do everything we should do before it is used and out the door. The only thing different between your location and ours is the humidity, do you think that may be a contributing cause to the problem?

Spencer McMurtry

i have redid at least 6 jobs due to arlon 4560gtx, i will NEVER USE IT AGAIN. anything i put on a vehicle is cast. after redoing 4+ jobs the money you save on calender vinyl is not worth it. my labor of redoing a job is worth more than saying a few bucks and less materials to have to stock.

i am redoing another pickup truck later today due to 4560gtx lifting. should we all post pictures of 4560gtx failing? i have a few!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
i have redid at least 6 jobs due to arlon 4560gtx, i will NEVER USE IT AGAIN. anything i put on a vehicle is cast. after redoing 4+ jobs the money you save on calender vinyl is not worth it. my labor of redoing a job is worth more than saying a few bucks and less materials to have to stock.

i am redoing another pickup truck later today due to 4560gtx lifting. should we all post pictures of 4560gtx failing? i have a few!

Man that really blows!! I dont see why anyone would seriously consider trying Arlon after hearing that. I know some people love the stuff but it sure seems like its not going to last. Hope you get credited for everything that went bad.

AllSquare Jason

I do not speak for Arlon. However, I can say that we have sold thousands of rolls of Arlon products since 1990. Arlon makes a great product and stands behind it. We have had a handful of issues over the years which Arlon ALWAYS took care of. In my opinion, it's not the issues you have, it's how you handle them that makes a good company great.

As far as GTX goes: The only laminate Arlon specs with this product is 3220. We have seen failures when the product is stretched and over-used for a calendered media. Also, Mimaki ink seems to destroy the adhesive when laminated too fast.

Our failures have been few and far between, even when the product was over-used Arlon replaced it. If your not getting the same service I would guess it's the vendor you purchase from, not Arlon.

In any event, sorry to hear about the problems some have had.

Ryan

Yes sir.......great company, great products and at a very good price. Works like a champ on our Roland's out there........over a thousand rolls sold here too - and just shipped another 10 or so today!!!

IF YOU ALL ARE GOING TO USE GTX ON VEHICLES, ARLON STATES YOU MUST USE THE 3320 CAST LAMINATE!!!! My guess is that most people dont want to pay the price for cast laminate.....and that's where most problems occur.

I would be willing to bet something is going on here (temp, app fluid, laminate, humidity, etc) causing this user problems. I can send you 25 of my guys to call using this stuff everyday with NO ISSUES. I wouldn't have a warehouse full of it if it didn't work. Get with your Rep or Arlon and they can get your problem solved the right way.