• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plotter speed, pressure and offset question

ddubia

I am using a Mimaki CG 160 FXII.

I did hand lettering for years. The past 4 years though I've been working in a sign business that was primarily a vinyl shop. In the past 2 years we've added 2 HP 8000's and print a majority of our work.

Regarding the plotter and vinyl cutting, could someone please explain Speed, Pressure and Offset and how each of these affects the final cut?

I'm the primary guy running this equipment but struggle at times with getting a consistent cut, especially on smaller lettering. (Larger stuff doesn't seem to be as picky.) Weeding can be a pain at times, again, especially on the smaller stuff. Often I'll get peaks where the vinyl is sticking up at the corners of small lettering making the final job look bad. (Do over). This happens on some laminated prints with smaller lettering. But then sometimes the corners won't be cut all the way through making weeding impossible. In all other regards, and for a little larger letter, it is cutting fine.

I feel that if I understood what is going on at the point where the blade touches the vinyl and how the speed, pressure and offset affects that point then I could better set and adjust for optimal cutting in all instances.

We primarily cut intermediate vinyl, Grimco Briteline 203 printable vinyl (both laminated and not) and some 3m 180 CV3 with laminate.

Any help would surely be appreciated.