• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Poblocki Sign Company Shut Down?

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
A community just north of me was a booming mill town since the late 1800's, until a hedge fund group bought the mill. They started selling off assets, along with their customer base almost immediately to cover expenses, and in no time at all it was shuttered. 450+ lost their jobs, and the town became abandoned, just streets with no homes lining them as banks foreclosed, and taxes went up to the highest in the state to maintain it. The biggest problem here is, there was nowhere for that many blue collar factory workers to turn to for work, keep their families fed, and a roof over their head.
Where was this? Just curious.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Where was this? Just curious.
A little town called Brokaw, just north of Wausau. It finally got annexed into another township a few years back, which lowered the taxes that skyrocketed to maintain roads & services, and some of the empty lots are slowly being built on again, but much of it is still just empty lots. The mill buildings left are now used for a scraping operation. Back when I was young I had family there, it's small, but had houses on every lot, a store, a school, library, a church, parks, a typical small town. All were gone by the time the mill went under, except for a maybe 3-4 houses. My wife grew up there, her dad worked in the mill, and it devastated them financially since he wasn't far from retirement. He went from union wages to working at Wally World, her mom ended up working in the local mall because there weren't enough jobs for those displaced, and many now needed two incomes. Doesn't matter if it's a huge city like Detroit, or a small town, they can all fail when industry closes.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Our company has been around for over 50 years, and our owner was shocked to hear it closed. Said we used to do a lot with Poblocki, never had any issues, then nothing for years (assuming since the acquisition). For all the shop personnel, the Milwaukee- Chicago area is kind of the mid west hub for everything from vendors, to sign manufacturers, and as dense as it is there, a lot of shops. Hopefully they'll all find a new home where they can utilize their talents, and be happy at.

Stories of investment and hedge firms failing company after company is too common. Some just run them into the ground for a quick payday. Others... I don't know if they want to succeed and just spread themselves too thin, shift too many funds to run or buy other companies, or what. We've lost a lot of good ones in every field as people with a bit of resources, and not enough business moxie try to become conglomerates. A community just north of me was a booming mill town since the late 1800's, until a hedge fund group bought the mill. They started selling off assets, along with their customer base almost immediately to cover expenses, and in no time at all it was shuttered. 450+ lost their jobs, and the town became abandoned, just streets with no homes lining them as banks foreclosed, and taxes went up to the highest in the state to maintain it. The biggest problem here is, there was nowhere for that many blue collar factory workers to turn to for work, keep their families fed, and a roof over their head.
Private equity groups are nothing but grifters. I'm watching one fall apart right now. It was a smaller company but the guy let one in the door because he wanted to grow . You could literally see it unfolding over a few years and last year the asset shifting started to happen. Now it's dire for the original owners who still have their stake in it. It's greed feeding on itself. They we're making a mint as a smaller business, guess that wasn't enough?

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Private equity groups are nothing but grifters. I'm watching one fall apart right now. It was a smaller company but the guy let one in the door because he wanted to grow . You could literally see it unfolding over a few years and last year the asset shifting started to happen. Now it's dire for the original owners who still have their stake in it. It's greed feeding on itself. They we're making a mint as a smaller business, guess that wasn't enough?
Couldn't have said it better myself. We're one of those smaller companies, not struggling, making good profits, and a good chance we could sustain that indefinitely, and be grateful :thumb: