• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Portable Engraver for tools?

backwoodsgirl

Hey gang.
My biggest sign customer is a facility that employs many mechanics. With that comes many tools, laptops, electronics. They’re looking for someone to come in and engrave the company name on every tool which would range from wrenches to air tools, laptops, cell phones etc. we’re talking thousands of tools. To deter theft.
Im a sign maker but know nothing about engravers.... but I’m sure I’d get this engraving job if I could pull it off. So, Is there a type of engraver that would be suitable for this and also be portable enough that I could take it on site a few times a year? What’s the learning curve on software to run such machines? TIA!

rossmosh

A fiber laser probably would be best but even then you have to understand there is setup involved. Also some materials either can't or shouldn't be engraved.

With so many variables, the job will have complexity. What they're looking to accomplish isn't a small ask.

Glavin_ID

If they want an actual physical engraving, Vision Mark has a nice small rotary machine that is portable. Others above are correct though, there is no single technology that will be able to mark all of their stuff. You may need to employ multiple technologies to be able to mark everything.

backwoodsgirl

So I understand, a fiber laser can engrave all uncoated metals?

And a dual source co2/fiber engraver can do metals, plastics, wood?

backwoodsgirl

A fiber laser probably would be best but even then you have to understand there is setup involved. Also some materials either can't or shouldn't be engraved.

With so many variables, the job will have complexity. What they're looking to accomplish isn't a small ask.

No worries, Small task isn’t my thing ;)believe it or not I am teachable.