• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing cut vinyl

soloinstaller

Just quoted a customer to do their store front windows. I used a rate of $6/sq ft. to calculate the cost and added a bit more to cover transportation costs.

Its all cut white vinyl, a decorative stripe that runs through each window that ill have to make sure is level, and a bunch of lettering. Came out to about $310 after taxes. Still waiting for a reply. Is this too much to be charging for this kind of job?

weyandsign

If you live in parents basement and have zero business expenses then $310 might be great. If you have operating costs, fuel, electricity, equipment, vehicles, insurance, shop supplies, etc. $310 might put you out of business. It all depends on how you operate and how you value your time. Confucius says you will never drive a new truck unless you charge like you are driving a new truck. But back to your original question, no, it's not too much IMO.

Stacey K

I like making signs
2020 Signcraft guide states the following, adjust depending on your hourly rate, which should be at least $60 these days IMO. This is probably the minimum you should charge but not sure of where you are located.

Basic graphics $242 per 8' window figuring $60hr.
Intermediate graphics $317 per window figuring $60hr - sounds like your graphics are intermediate or lay somewhere in-between

If you undercharged then just learn from it. Track all of your time designing - then the cut/weed/mask - then the installing. I do this all separately. Track the material cost. Then put these numbers in your pricing book next to "8' window" so next time you have something to go by. I don't like square foot pricing for cut vinyl, I prefer to price "per the job" and "per the difficulty of the graphics".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just did this yesterday. Window and door. $ 620.00 Took about 1/2 hour and that included prep and clean up

windw n door s101.jpg

Billct2

Square foot pricing only goes so far. You have to look at the time involved. One square foot of 3" helvetica is not the same as one square foot of 3/4" Times Roman. And instalsl have to include the time to get ready, travel, on site time and time back to the shop. Then there's the time involved in selling/designing/billing.....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not much. The window was 42" x 55" Door was 24" x 67" Around 4 sq ft for the window, I think and maybe 2.25 sq ft for the door You cannot use more than 30% of the glass area.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Square foot pricing only goes so far. You have to look at the time involved. One square foot of 3" helvetica is not the same as one square foot of 3/4" Times Roman. And instalsl have to include the time to get ready, travel, on site time and time back to the shop. Then there's the time involved in selling/designing/billing.....

Quite true. 1/2" lettering with lower case or lotsa capital letters at 4". Also, how accessible is the window ?? Do you need ladders, bucket, whatever ?? Luckily for me, this was only about 10 minutes or so from our shop.

As for the selling of the job, the guy calls me, tells me what he wants and Okays the first numbers I quoted, so the layout was very easy, so not much time on that. However, in talking with the powers of the city, they had some really interesting rules for this building, since it was in an historical district. They changed some things on me, but wasn't too terribly bad. Problem is...... every building up & down the same block A N D across the street were ALL illegal based upon her specs. I pointed that out and she said they will be cited. I said to my client, the one window, I did about 12 years ago. It sure takes them a long time to cite people.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya just don't raise your prices without reason. Because I can get it, doesn't mean you can.

Your overhead comes into play, your equipment, your shop rate, insurances and all the other incidentals. However, the most important factor is....... is it worth it ?? Are your layouts any good, are you using top notch products, are you professional, are you fair and most of all........ are you reliable ??

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Not to offend but this is almost like hearing “I need a sign” from a client.

There are things that we take into consideration for projects like this.

Material/vinyl used (we only use cast, period)
Complexity (ie production time. The more complex the more time to cut and weed)
Travel time
Prep/install time

However, based on your description I’d say you are low as the others have said.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Not to offend but this is almost like hearing “I need a sign” from a client.

There are things that we take into consideration for projects like this.

Material/vinyl used (we only use cast, period)
Complexity (ie production time. The more complex the more time to cut and weed)
Travel time
Prep/install time

However, based on your description I’d say you are low as the others have said.
why would you use cast vinyl on a storefront?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Totally agree. We have calendered in stock for cheapie Cor-X signs, temporary signs and all kinds other cheap things. We don't stock all that many colors, just the common ones. However, I do use a high end vinyl for store front windows and doors. I don't want shrinkage (here comes the seinfeld people), early lifting or peeling or fading.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Totally agree. We have calendered in stock for cheapie Cor-X signs, temporary signs and all kinds other cheap things. We don't stock all that many colors, just the common ones. However, I do use a high end vinyl for store front windows and doors. I don't want shrinkage (here comes the seinfeld people), early lifting or peeling or fading.
what do you use for store fronts?

Scotchbrite

No comment
We've had trouble with calendared vinyl on storefront glass. We try to use Gerber 220 vinyl as much as possible. IJ180 when it has to be printed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Usually cast. Interior & exterior the same. I'd say 90% of them are gonna be white, so that's a color we always have a lot of on hand.