• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print quality issue

Hi there. Getting this. See photos. Oldish Mutoh. (running via ColourGate). Horizontal lines. Trying to do a high end sign. It will be viewed close up. I know I can fix by uping the ink (say going from 8 pass to 9pass).
but this will obviously make it darker and customer has already ok the colour. I have tried different media, with a small amount of success. The photos are a gloss 5year vinyl. Any thoughts? I'm sure there is a setting ( either on the Mutoh it's self or on ColourGate) even if it does not fix completely? but anything that would help would be fab?. thanks Simon

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 202
No its not 100% missing a few small gaps on the black (see attached) I keep doing cleans (long and short). I cant find any setting for a power clean.
ta simon

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 190

Grafix

We had this issue on our new Latex. In the end we had to do a manual calibration for the media. (after unnecessarily replacing printheads, countless alignments and cleans.)
Fixed it and no more issue

umm, bit loathed to do anything this drastic. Last time I did something like this I touched the head and ending up having to throw my machine away :-(
(I didn't realize how delicate the heads are, as you can tell I'm a newbe to wide format solvent printers) I can't seem to find a power clean function anywhere.
Its a Mutoh VJ1324. thanks for your advice.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
That's fine if you're not comfortable with it. It is unfortunate to hear about the other head going bad. A head soak shouldn't involve any touching of the head plate. Just filling up the cap top with cleaning fluid then parking the head back on top for a soak.
If you're concerned only about this particular job/print, just crank up the passes and try a small test print for colour matching and hopefully you can get something passable.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I know our Roland used to suffer from dropouts when the cap top was getting old. We used to swap ours out every 3 months instead of the recommended 6.
In saying that, we've never changed one on our Epson in 4 years, and it still prints flawlessly.

Ok have done what has been suggested here (in red) so many times. Almost know difference

https://techsupport.signwarehouse.com/cleaning-clogged-nozzles-on-value-jetprismjet-printers/

But having said that this video is not very clear, maybe I'm cleaning the wrong area?. I have used heaps of cleaning fluid. Fab if someone had a link to a better/clearer video.

I have an identical Mutoh here (just for parts) How hard is it to swap this whole area out. (see photo), just a thought?

ta Simon

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 141

bigkahuna_305

Ok have done what has been suggested here (in red) so many times. Almost know difference

https://techsupport.signwarehouse.com/cleaning-clogged-nozzles-on-value-jetprismjet-printers/

But having said that this video is not very clear, maybe I'm cleaning the wrong area?. I have used heaps of cleaning fluid. Fab if someone had a link to a better/clearer video.

I have an identical Mutoh here (just for parts) How hard is it to swap this whole area out. (see photo), just a thought?

ta Simon
the cap top is that rainbow colored square