• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Printed vinyl wall decal edges curling

Tonia Seling

Help! So I am installing printed vinyl decals on the walls of a high school. Some walls are painted cinder block (decal is printed on 3M textured surface vinyl) and some are drywall (decal is printed on 3M IJ65). The edges are curling on both vinyls due to what I'm assuming is humidity and inconsistent temps. Is there anything I can seal the edges with to prevent the curling?

Artaus

Any decals we print & cut, regardless of a white border around them, are left 24hrs (heavy coverage) after printing to let the inks and substrate fully cure before laminating or cutting.

Tyson Mowat

I agree with TimToad, it could be related to the surface finish, if it is fresh paint or has repellent properties, or even assuming it hadn’t been wiped down well it might have oils or particulate.
I’ve also had experience with vinyl that had “expired”, was past its shelf life. Did exactly what you describe.

Tonia Seling

I contacted the contractor for the school... They used Waterborne Catalyzed Epoxy paint. So from what I gathered nothing will stick :-(

Tyson Mowat

I contacted the contractor for the school... They used Waterborne Catalyzed Epoxy paint. So from what I gathered nothing will stick :-(
Unfortunate, but I get that schools use that as an anti-graffiti measure. How about making signs to mount on the wall rather than decals?