• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing film positives on Latex, what works?

sinclairgraphics1

Sinclair Graphics & Installations
I have a client that's interested in having some films made for screen printing. He asked if I could print them on my HP latex. I have experience printing films on a mimaki for a company I worked for about 10 years ago and it worked great. What brand of material and settings would work on the latex? Should I try to get into this or outsource it? The client is a very big screen printer with 3 locations so I want to make sure they are happy and getting a quality product. Please advise

d fleming

I would want to check registration of films because of the heat latex printers apply to the film during printing before I shot screens.

chafro

I use .1" lexan.

I even print color prints in this material and it comes out looking great. My heat settings are at max and have to print in at least 16 pass in the smaller printers. L25500 doesn't print lexan very good.

I have print in the L26500 , Lx360 and the LX850.

the black is very good for front light applications. I screen print white for color prints and the black is perfect. If you want it as a backlight ,only the big printers can dry the amount of ink you need. I have done backlights in lexan in the lx850 and they come out great.

Chimuka

It was the 3M 8518 with synthetic liner, The printer is a HP 310 latex, heat set at 225, I suspect the I could go down to 200 and it would cure fine.

CMGman

For anyone still interested, we output our screen print positives on a HP latex 310 using HP Backlit Polyester film. We use Flexi Basic and print with "no color correction" checked. In illustrator we set up as CMYK and apply 100% to the black and around 60% to the cyan. When outputting to flexi basic, the "no color correction" tab allows for the positives to come out crisp and opaque.

Danr2c2

For anyone still interested, we output our screen print positives on a HP latex 310 using HP Backlit Polyester film. We use Flexi Basic and print with "no color correction" checked. In illustrator we set up as CMYK and apply 100% to the black and around 60% to the cyan. When outputting to flexi basic, the "no color correction" tab allows for the positives to come out crisp and opaque.

Thank you for this very informative post! One question: Which side do you lay on the emulsion? Do you lay the printed side down on the emulsion or is the printed side facing up and the back is on the emulsion?

CMGman

Thank you for this very informative post! One question: Which side do you lay on the emulsion? Do you lay the printed side down on the emulsion or is the printed side facing up and the back is on the emulsion?
We print out our films right side up and place them on our exposure unit right side up then place the screen on top of the film. So the latex ink side is in contact with the bottom of the screen. This puts the ink in direct contact with the emulsion. We have never had any issues.
I hope that helps.

Danr2c2

We print out our films right side up and place them on our exposure unit right side up then place the screen on top of the film. So the latex ink side is in contact with the bottom of the screen. This puts the ink in direct contact with the emulsion. We have never had any issues.
I hope that helps.

Awesome, thank you!