• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Printing on colored vinyl

SV Signworks

I have a client that wants black printed on a matte vinyl. Looks great - Q54 does not recognize the registration marks - HELP.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Print out a set of marks on some white - make the background about 1.5" around the marks.
Figure a way to make sure you lay them down directly over the original reg marks
Should be good to go.
Flexi has an option to do reg marks in reversed colors but that's not going to help with a matte black material.

wayne k
guam usa

SV Signworks

Thanks Wayne: My mistake - it's black ink printed on 631 Lt. Brown Matte. Would seem that black reg marks on a light brown would be readable... My cutter also is a Q54 - I should've probably included that

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Thanks Wayne: My mistake - it's black ink printed on 631 Lt. Brown Matte. Would seem that black reg marks on a light brown would be readable... My cutter also is a Q54 - I should've probably included that
You should be able to crank up the sensitivity of the sensor but I would still print and cut a set of crop marks on white.
I've moved crop marks more times than I'd like to admit when I placed them too far out of scan range trying to squeeze that last inch out of the material. I have a 64" printer and just a 48" Graphtec so getting a little creative with the marks has saved a few runs from the trash bin.

ikarasu

I'd cut some white vinyl, and cover an inch around the crop marks, rather than print out a set of registrations. The black should be a good color black, even printed on brown - It's the transition from brown to black that its not registering. Cut some white squares with your cutter, and throw them around the crop marks, then give it a try... Should work. If not, cut some black lines and throw them down ontop of your registration marks.

I've done this to clear vinyl, reflective that was being a pain, and some screen printed colored vinyl - Never fails. Though if you do it wrong, you may end up with a slightly off cut piece... So make sure you place them straight!

SV Signworks

Thanks guys - This sounds like a plan - of course I need to print 100 of two different designs... so... profit ratio - boo :D

ikarasu

Can't group them up? Look into changing the sensitivity on your cutter and give that a try. It should work... I know on the graphtec it can go so low, it'll pick up dust as a sensor. Just make sure to turn it back up for your regular stuff!

SV Signworks

You know - AFTER I posted that I thought... I can gang those. - I'm going with LONG MONDAY on this one and giving myself a pass :D
I'm researching the sensitivity setting option also. Thanks for the help. Really appreciated

SV Signworks

Just wanted to thank you guys. I cut squares of white vinyl on a test and it worked. Then - I thought why not trim the vinyl from the backing to expose the white. TOTALLY worked. Thank you thank you thank you!

ikarasu

Just wanted to thank you guys. I cut squares of white vinyl on a test and it worked. Then - I thought why not trim the vinyl from the backing to expose the white. TOTALLY worked. Thank you thank you thank you!

Hah... never would have even thought to just cut around the crop marks ,an even better solution, good thinking!

papabud

Lone Wolf
i have a special print file set up that prints just crop marks. with a cut path so that it covers everything but the tips of the old crop marks. this i use for alignment. luckily i almost never need to use them.