• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on flag material

ABBOTARTDEPT

Boss wants me to print to a polyseter flag that he ordered from fellers. I have a mimaki jv3-160. Has anyone had any experience printing to flag? and if so, any tips would be helpful. he only ordered so much flag material so i dont have much room for mistakes.

D

Digitall

What kind of material, cotton, polyester,fire coded, paper backed? Hopefully you do have some extra for test. As stated, you need to bump up colors saturation but do it with high heat settings so you don't bleed. Is the flag indoors, outside, how much backside % does customer want. Make sure if it is going outside that your thread for hemming is man-made material, cotton doesn't hold up well outside.

Good Luck

ABBOTARTDEPT

Its a polyester flag. Not sure how to bump up the saturation. Do i use ink layers?the flag will be used outdoors.

Last edited:
Printing on 'flag' material with a solvent printer is far from ideal, particularly when long-term outdoor use is needed. In the USA, federal and state flags are traditionally produced using screen printing. These flags are always printed on nylon material. Nylon offers a very high degree of ink penetration, so the image looks similar on both sides.

It is possible to print onto uncoated nylon with a digital printer. The inkset that is used is called direct Acid ink, and it is water-based and not solvent-based ink. After printing, the ink needs several post-print activities, including steaming and washing.

To print onto 'flag' material with a solvent inkset, the media needs to be treated with a coating, much like what aqueous printers use when printing onto PVC. Many polyesters are closed fabrics, and don't permit a great deal of ink penetration.

The problem is that the coating degrades or delaminates over time, and the ink goes with it. Abrasion is often times a problem with these inks (wind whipping the flag around). The best solution is to outsource the production to someone who can direct print onto nylon material. Hope this primer helps.

Bob