• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Laminate

midnightmadman

I have a small job that the customer wants something wrapped in clear with some graphics on it.
Can I print right onto a laminate and apply that?
Will it work for an indoor display that will not be exposed to much?

midnightmadman

Yup, I've done it before.

When you say wrapped...what kind of object is it? Reason I ask is because you can print on cast wrapping lam but it will be very aggressive and won't have the repositionable characters of a wrap vinyl.

Just a thought...

Just a wood rectangle. So the ink will be fine on the material as long as its not abused?

TheSnowman

I would think that if your printer is calibrated to print on white, that you would be missing a lot of color in the print, unless your printer prints white.

SeaWriter

I have done it many times.

As others have said the color will not be “solid”. Without getting into a debate on the physics or theory of printed color just consider this; all ink in all inkjet printers is transparent (not translucent), you can see through it.

However this can often lead to interesting effects, specially on wood.

Black generally will be opaque enough and as mentioned, double print can help ‘build up’ the color without the use of white.