• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing to cut? Can this be done?

BeyondPrinting

Im looking at buying a new vinyl cutter. I hope to some day get a printer and do contour cuting. Question is Can I set up my art work and cut lines with my software then export the print file with registration marks to a contract printer then cut the decals my self when it comes in?

Looking at a Vinyl Express Q42 its software is the vinyl express version of felxi called "LXi Sign Making Software" I was going to up graded to the Pro version.

Can this be done with this software or any software?
Thanks for any help.

Flame

Im looking at buying a new vinyl cutter. I hope to some day get a printer and do contour cuting. Question is Can I set up my art work and cut lines with my software then export the print file with registration marks to a contract printer then cut the decals my self when it comes in?

Looking at a Vinyl Express Q42 its software is the vinyl express version of felxi called "LXi Sign Making Software" I was going to up graded to the Pro version.

Can this be done with this software or any software?
Thanks for any help.

It is possible but pretty time consuming to say the least. Question is, why not find a shop that will print, laminate, cut and send back? I don't even charge our wholesale clients for cutting!!!!

Malkin

different systems may require different stroke data for the cutlines. I think it's an exercise in futility.

I agree with Flame. (we don't charge extra for that either)

BeyondPrinting

Flame
I have used you several times for my print and cut jobs. I guess I just need a reason to talk my self in to buying a new vinyl cutter with up graded options and much better software then what I currentley have. Thought it might save some to cut my own over paying someone to print and then cut it. But thanks for the advice.

Flame

Flame
I have used you several times for my print and cut jobs. I guess I just need a reason to talk my self in to buying a new vinyl cutter with up graded options and much better software then what I currentley have. Thought it might save some to cut my own over paying someone to print and then cut it. But thanks for the advice.

Oh yeah! How's it going? Sorry, didn't really look at the screen name. Hope biz has been well.

Yeah, print and cut is usually setup in the RIP, not in the design. :(

gbarker

If you are considering LXi and are thinking you will print in the future, reconsider your decision. LXi can't handle a wide format printer. Only a desktop printer.

To do what you want you will need a minimum of Flexi Print&Cut

As for you doing the contour cutting. It might work if you are using a wholesale printer that uses Flexi's - Production Manager as their RIP. There are a few setting you would have to make to fool Profuction Manager (funny that was a typo but if the shoe fits...) into thinking you have a printer.

It would work something like this -
You set up the file using Flexi, send us the final .fs file with cut lines
We print with registration marks (we use the same plotter so I feel confident this would work)
We ship the prints to you

You send the print and cut file to Production Manager (both jobs have to be sent at the same time)
Ignore the print portion and go straight to contour cutting.

However, one benefit is that if I mess up the contour cut, I eat it and reprint.