• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Prints are shorter than file after long runs

numbone

Hey guys, i dont run into this problem often and i'm sure it normaly goes unnoticed. Today i ripped a file in versa works at the size of 36" x 144". when the banner was finished and ready to be cropped it printed shorter at 36" x 143". I need this banner to fit precisely into an akland frame so its now a problem i dont know the solution to. What would cause this, anyone know?

thanks in advance!

Ken

Are you able to add a 1/2 " piece of frame at each end without it looking too wonky?
Good luck.
Ken

numbone

the frame has to be exactly 144" because its going right on top of a doorway the same size. As i google some are suggesting adjusting feed rate. I can't get through to Roland right now either...

HaroldDesign

Can't help you with the Roland part, but that's what you're going to have to do. Given the size, you could print it at 145" to get the length you need to get the job out until you learn how to make the proper adjustments.

numbone

yeah i know, just trying to avoid work arounds right now, should i try adjusting the feed rate on the printers menu or through Versaworks?

charissabuskirk

I don't use a Roland, but a media feed adjustment was my thought. There should be a calibration you can run to check it, do you have a user manual?

Bigdawg

Just Me
We have had the same problem with the length of prints. When/If you get through to Roland - I'd be interested in that answer too. We are using their VersaWorks profiles for a couple of the materials we were printing on, so I've adjusted nothing in the feed rates because I <ass>umed that it was set up... I'd like to know how to actually FIX the problem rather than stopgap measures like making my file bigger - cuz' first time I do... the print will be spot on in size and I'll be screwed :smile:

the graphics co

You should always give yourself a bleed of an inch or two just in case, especially if it needs to fit a precise area, just chalk it up to trial and error.

As far as the actual problem with the hardware or software, i am not sure what specifically might have caused this, but, you may have some white space or a stray design element that is giving you a false size in versa works. This happens to me sometimes when importing from illustrator, if you start a text box by accident anywhere outside of your design and forget to delete it, versa will pick it up and your measurements will be off. Hope that helps.

numbone

This particular job was actually processed and handled by someone new to the department, i would have added a bleed personaly but the actual job did end up being shorter. all measurements were the same from flexi-sign and in versaworks.

The manual provided also doesnt shed much light on the problem. I should be hearing back from my vendor shortly as they calibrate these machines all the time.

Spud Murphy

I think a bleed is the only solution or adding the 1" to file size( as suggested). I have to say-Forgiving the overall size problem, even on extra long paneled prints (20'+) the panels match perfectly on our XJ 74.