• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Prints Mounted to Coro Curling...

Print-Kwik

I have some heavy coverage prints (oracal 3651) & lam with oraguard 210, mounted to coro. Lately I'm seeing some curl along the edges. Usually the edge with the flutes exposed.

Any thoughts on the cause? I have been using this combo for over a year and haven't had this problem. Mounting was done using my seal 54base.

Letterbox Mike

I was getting ready to ask the exact same thing. I've had almost a dozen jobs come back in the last week because the edges are curling up with 3651, mounted to all sorts of different substrates. Some were mounted immediately after printing, others sat around for a few days to a week before mounting. One job was 1000 labels we printed, let dry for 3 days before cutting, and left on the release liner unmasked. All of them had curled around the edges. All I know were from one roll of media, is it possible Oracal has a problem on their hands?

MobileImpact

we had this problem on full bleed prints on 3651. We started leaving 1/4 inch all the way around and haven't had the problem since. (knock on wood)

Kevin

Letterbox Mike

I don't get it, I've been using 3651 for a couple years, 4-6 rolls a month, no issues ever on full bleed things, then in one week we have almost 12 jobs fail? I don't believe there's not something else going on here.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There seems to be more and more talk about this very problem. The one thing we noticed is... it's just does not pertain to one manufacturer. We've seen it in OraCal, 3M and some other stuff we bought from another supplier, but I forget the brand.

Whether you laminate or not, wait 5 hours or 5 days, light vs. dark colors..... it seems to be the saturation build up at the cut line. We've had complaints on all levels.... we really can't find the common denominator yet. We’ve been experiencing this problem on and off for almost six months and frankly…. we're stumped. Has nothing to do with the temperature, humidity or where you’re located in the country. It also doesn’t seem to matter if it’s on MDO, aluminum, PVC or any other substrate.

Other boards are saying to leave an 1/8” or so border around the print. Well, that’s impossible under certain conditions. Using a contour cut with a light blue outline on a dark blue truck just won’t look good with an extra 1/8” white border there and you can’t talk the customer into something they absolutely don’t want. However, we had one truck [white nonetheless] come back where the white border we left behind curled back at spots.

In the beginning we thought the surfaces might’ve been contaminated. Re-did it only to have it maybe happen sometimes and not other times. We’re so much more alert to cleaning the surfaces like we never have in the past. I’m not sure who to call, because like I said, it’s doing it everywhere, so I don’t think it’s a media problem…. more or an ink change of some sort…..

Does ‘Avery’ make ink in a back room somewhere under another private label ??​

TheSnowman

I use 3651 more than any other vinyl...haven't had any problems lately. I just ordered a new roll, and I'm about to open it. I'll let you know if I have any problems. Like they said earlier, if it's a project that you can leave 1/4 - 1/2 all the way around it, that'll help you some.

Jackpine

"if it's a project that you can leave 1/4 - 1/2 all the way around it, that'll help you some."

That's fine for jobs that you design the outline to be white.....but as Gino said. not very practical in most jobs not to have a white contour. I haven't had this problem except on 6mil wall graphic material from Fellers, that was an adhesive problem.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I have some heavy coverage prints (oracal 3651) & lam with oraguard 210, mounted to coro. Lately I'm seeing some curl along the edges. Usually the edge with the flutes exposed.

What are you printing with? How hot are the inks? eco, semi, full solvent?

high impact

hmmmm...we have the same problem once in a while with full-bleed prints on 3651 also. I assumed it was a surface prep problem the couple of times we saw it.

One of those curling jobs we laminated immediately after it came off the printer. Don't like doing that but sometimes the customer just has to have it...NOW. I had chucked it up to those factors but maybe there is more to it.

bighun

I've noticed when applying 3651 to my substrates that it is curling within seconds of taking the backing liner off, used to lay flat before. I'm using a Colorspan 72UV printer. Frustrating when all the sides curl at once, gotta spray it FAST!

Print-Kwik

My quick fix is the trim the coro a bit. I'll keep an eye on my guys to see if any cause pops out...

Thanks for the input everyone