• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PrismJet VS. ValueJet & what did you pay?

rcboats1

you don't have to run 64" material through your 64" printer.

you can get 30", 36", 48", 54" material to contour cut.

The obvious is not lost on me.
My question stems for the thought of limiting yourself and your printers effectiveness in some cases. I realize that most contour cutting will be done on smaller projects, but it seems to me that if you are getting a 64" printer that a 64" plotter just makes sense.
I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, just trying to see all sides of this as I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a VJ 1604, 64" Graphtec 7000 and 65" Royal Sovereign laminator.

Valentino

KR3..... we are talking about printers in it's own class.

$15,000 vs. a Gandinnovations (what was that $150 to $200G's)

how much were the HP's?

KR3signguy

KR3..... we are talking about printers in it's own class.

$15,000 vs. a Gandinnovations (what was that $150 to $200G's)

how much were the HP's?

Well your right!
but I guess what I'm sayin is,
stretch for the best possible machine.
If your going to be running wraps & etc you should get a loan for something quick, you'll make the money back even faster. Time is money & you can potentially pigeon hole yourself into printing 3-4x longer for the same amount of money. In most cases, more money invested will produce a larger yield.

KSW Chesapeake

oh yeah....by the way.... fellers is going to be selling VJ1604 pretty soon, fellers customer support is top notch and their prices are good to boot, so expect them to be a good reseller of mutoh.

Oh yeah...mutoh is going to introduce the VJ-1608, like the 1604, but it can accept media that is up to 3/4th's inch thick, so it can print on mdo and yadda yadda.

I got the October issue of Sign Business magazine and it has a Mutoh add that had debut of up coming products. The ValueJet 1608 is in there.

msrobere

I purchased a 64" valuejet from fellers. Got the graphtec plotter to match and seal 62 pro c laminator. I feel i got a good deal, they even threw in their wrap class for free. I couldn't be happier with the printer. It will keep up with you when you need a reprint in a hurry. Also the prints are perfect.

Michael
Quick Signs n More

3dsignco

Ok here is my Take on the plotter.. The reason I bought the 54 instead of the 64 is look at all your materials you can buy.. All your vinyls you can get are 54" and a few 60"s The only thing wider is Banner Material and you would never Plotter a banner. About the only thing you would use 60" Vinyl for will be a wrap and you don't contour cut those anyway so I saved myself $2500 and got the 54" Plotter As 75% of everything we print is on 54" Material for 4x8 Signs.

rcboats1

Bill,

Thank you for your insite and input on your thoughs for the plotter, it has me thinking about checking the price difference for my package.

Sparky

Along the same lines as others, for doing wraps, I am looking at 62-64" printers and am liking the Mutohs.

My question lies in the "wave" technology. Is it worth the extra money?
If I get the model down from that (without the "wave") will I get banding?

I have been told I will be OK without it, but I don't want to be wishing 1 month in that I spent the money for the right printer.

Thoughts?

MrKoob

Just peace of mind mostly. Wave Printing doesn't mean it eliminates banding, it just hides it. You can make a ValueJet band, trust me, I've seen it. It's just more difficult. If you go with a model below, chances are you'll be just fine for most apps, only with the occasional banding from time to time. If you have the money to spend, get the ValueJET. If not go with something lower and work into the higher model. From what I understand with SignWarehouse's nomenclature the PrismJET Extra is the printer below the Valuejet, and the PrismJET VJ is the Mutoh ValueJET. SW throws in some extra stuff if you buy it under their PrismJET name... I think.

Sparky

Thanks Koob - your reinforcing my thoughts. I am shopping around and talking to many people the folks at SW are actually talking me down from the JetV. Not sure I understand her thought on that, but she is sending samples of the two to compare.

Seems to me if you can get around it easier and it can save a large file if the banding is hidden, the extra costs sound like insurance to me.

The package that Fellers is selling is the Valujet and that is the only thing that they are selling, so I guess they recommend it over the Jet Extra.

MrKoob

Over the PrismJET Extra the ValueJET (PrismJET V) beats it handsdown in speed and quality. If you level the playing field and note that both Fellers and SignWarehouse offer the ValueJET, then it's a matter of price, packages, and support. In other words who can sweeten the deal the most? That's where you'll get bombarded with different opinions of who's better than the other. In the end you just have to decide.

kstompaint

"I am shopping around and talking to many people the folks at SW are actually talking me down from the JetV. Not sure I understand her thought on that, but she is sending samples of the two to compare."

The Xtra (Falcon) is basically outdated and they probably just have some laying around to get rid of. I'm not saying it's a bad machine, but like anything else you get what you pay for. I waited until after attending the SGIA show to pull the trigger, and got the ValueJet. SW pissed me off because they literally would not give me a price. They didn't want me to use thier price as ammo to drive others down. My thought is that if nobody would give me a price, where would I start? SW is like Wal Mart, and a printer is like a car. I'd buy tires from Wal Mart, but not a car.

After meeting with the Fellers people, I decided to buy from them. Vehicle wraps and exterior signs are my prime target and they are geared toward that. Also, their customer service for me so far has been top notch and extremely LOW pressure sales. I also worked with Dave from Graphic Resource Systems, and was pleased with his professionalism. Had I not bought from Fellers, I would have probably gotten it from him.

Fellers offered me a complete package with printer, plotter, laminator, computer, software, graphics, training, etc. that I felt could not be matched.

Thanks everybody on the board for your help and opinions!

leerees

We are based in Luton UK and paid 15k UK Pounds for our VJ 1604 in 2008, this included the takeup roll and the Poster print rip.

I brought it from a company called RGB (previously known as greenworld) and it may be cheaper now as it's been a while. The tech / sales guy there has always been very helpful and offered tremendous after sales support at all times.

I quickly learnt that in the world of large format printing the quality of after sales support you receive is of paramount importance. If we ever need help, he's only a phone call away, therefore I recommend buying your VJ from these guys.

Last edited: