• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems with Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3

Rookie

Our company creates hand-painted MDO signs. We stocked up and bought seven 5-gallon containers of Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 interior/exterior primer last March. The primer from two of the seven containers when applied to MDO (we use tack cloth to clean the MDO sheets and Wooster rollers to apply the primer), however, immediately "bubbled" and left dozens of tiny bubbles. The other five containers, four of which we went through, seem fine.

I returned the first 5-gallon container we had trouble with last June and intend to return the other one shortly (not sure if I should keep the one that "slightly" bubbles). I'm really puzzled by this, though. We're careful and can't see how we're contaminating the primer (we don't keep it in the garage/studio when the temperature is near freezing, either), so all I can think of this might have been a bad batch. Does that happen?

I very much liked the containers of Zinsser with which we didn't have a problem. But 5-for-7 is a lousy percentage. Anyone else had a similar problem? Anyone have a high-quality primer they'd recommend? I'm reluctant to continue using Zinsser.

GB2

Old Member
I use Zinsser products quite often and always find them to be great. You don't say whether you are using the latex or the solvent base product. I would suspect you have a problem with 1) the application technique or 2) the surface preparation. I'd be very surprised if it had anything to do with the product itself. Since you state that you are using rollers to apply the primer, that is almost certainly a large part of your issue. I don't know what a "Wooster" roller is but roller application technique is a skill that must be mastered to achieve a quality finish that is bubble free.

geb

Rookie, sorry to hear your having trouble. When I roll w/ Zinser, I always get the bubbles. I try to work quickly so paint doesn't dry and float after I roll the primer. Floating to me is a technique I use by either floating a foam brush in straight lines across the board using almost no force on the brush to remove the bubbles. You can also put something on your roller to keep it from rolling, and float the board that way, but I always use a foam brush. I think the type of roller is important also, we use tiz rollers.

George

phototec

Like others have said, never any problem with the product, however you may have a problem with your MDO surface, maybe there is a wax or oil residue on the board. I would try to clean a section of the board and reapply Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 to see if it makes any difference?

:help

John L

Bullseye or BIN? The latex product can't be used down to the same low temps that the original shellac based version can. The temp and humidity ranges are on the can and on their website but I have definately had a bubble issue with the latex at low temps. I have also had an issue with silicone being on substrates that are delivered to our shop causing the same effect. We dont knowingly use or allow anything near our paint room containing silicone.

Rookie

Hi all,

Haven't had Internet access the past several days, so I apologize for the belated reply. Using some of the excellent advice here and controlling variables one at a time, we isolated the problem (it's not the primer) and are no longer having this problem. Thank you all!

visual800

I bet $10 it was your roller. We always used black foam rollers and after rolling the surface come back and back roll it to get rid of the bubbles.