• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Program Installation "C" or "E"? - Performance Question

Sign_Boy

Hi all,
I recently had to reinstall windows 7 pro on my system and I'm in the process of reinstalling all my software. Does anyone know if it would help increase performance if I installed Flexi, Adobe CS5 and other programs on a drive other than the "C" drive. My "E" drive is empty and has 245GB. "C" only has 150 free out of 195. Any thoughts on this or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !!!

:supersmilie:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Usually the more space you have open on a drive that is processing the files the better. That being said, unless the E drive is a solid state drive it probably won't have a noticeable performance difference.

WildWestDesigns

If the C: drive is a SSD and the E: drive is not, it may take a performance hit if install on the E: drive. If they are both SSDs, then probably won't see a difference other then locations.

However, be mindful where programs (such as Ps) use their scratch disk. I don't know if by default they use the drive that is associated with the program or if they use C: as the default as I have only ever installed these programs on the C: drive.

So if you are space conscious with the C: drive, may want to make sure about the location of scratch disks. Some are cleaned out when the program closes, some you have to clean out yourself manually.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Install everything on the C drive, but don't use it for anything else. After you install your programs, set your scratch disks to use E first, then C. Store all your files on a network drive (backed up). Run CCleaner drive cleanup software weekly.