• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Purchase orders from schools

binki

Why don't teachers at schools understand what a purchase order is? I have had several want an invoice so they can get a PO and after I send the invoice I get daily calls 'Is my stuff ready?'

Well, no, I don't have the PO yet.

After about 3 weeks of this a check shows up in the mail and we get started. :help

Go figure. We have never had a PO show up from these people. I guess they don't know what it is.

2B

it got so bad with the schools we work with that if an order is called in w/out a PO the person who placed the order is forced to pay for the order. funny how that makes a PO show up from the start

royster13

I must be lucky.......I have not seen a PO from a school in years and done lots of orders for schools....

Mosh

All my customers that need to get PO's I give them an invoice when they place the order and tell them you need a check when they pick it up. Works for me.

JoshLoring

Schools are crazy. We had to float 75k and wait 60 days for payment on a job that had already been completed.
Invoice- PO issued- Do job - Wait to get paid. Lol

binki

At least you had the PO which is enforacable when push comes to shove. Even with that we do require payment at pickup.

I just don't think the people we are dealing with really know what it is. They seem to think the words are magic and their jobs will start.

signswi

News flash most teachers and professionals in similar jobs who have not worked in an environment that required purchasing or sales may not have encountered the P.O. / Invoice system before, be nice and explain it = get paid. Don't assume people are dumb just because they haven't had the experience of something before.

WildWestDesigns

Don't assume people are dumb just because they haven't had the experience of something before.

I would have said ignorant, because they are without that knowledge, for whatever reason. Dumb in it's original sense means "lacking the power of speech". Unfortunately, it has become to mean something it really isn't. Of course, I can handle that more then "begs the question". That still just bugs me to no end.

MatthewTimothy

All my customers that need to get PO's I give them an invoice when they place the order and tell them you need a check when they pick it up. Works for me.

id agree to this but if i dont get 50% down ive been stiffed... i only do 100% down now or if its a large order i do 50%

wow, we have never had issues with the school district or any "30/60 term payment" customer. They always call in and say I have PO # 11111 and this is what I need. Always very pleasant.

wildside

po numbers don't work at the grocery store......

we have the same thing around here, they call up for an invoice so they can get a po issued, which is actually nice that they know exactly how much they are going to spend

the old superintendent had a little more relaxed policy, they would kinda just guess at how much it should cost based on their own expertise :rolleyes:, issue the po, order something without giving us the po, and then complain when they get the invoice that doesn't match the po....:frustrated:and once refused to pay since it didn't match the po :ROFLMAO: