• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Put up a sign in LA and get arrested, $1 million bail

mrmoto95

Amazing to me that in these days and times something like this can cost more in bail or jail time than killing someone. Another case of the authorities being to lazy to chase real crime.

binki

This particular guy has had a long running battle with the city over these signs. The fire dept is after them for safety reasons. Unfortunately, the city will react by banning more signs.

jiarby

This quote from the article sums it up for me...

"I'm not saying don't hold him accountable," said Nick Pacheco, a former prosecutor and city councilman who is not affiliated with the case. "But I don't see the relationship between a million-dollar bail and three misdemeanors."

I hope they don't start to go after coro's!

Pat Whatley

Curran said the average supergraphic can generate $100,000 a month in advertising revenue.

I think I know why he wants to put them up. Just one question....the owner installed his own gigantic banner?! I can barely get people to tie their own 3x10 banners between poles.

G-Artist

I have never heard of a building wrap installed with the harware listed.

This has to be more than a real wrap.

Banner material or vinyl mounted to some of substrate?

Wish there was a pic. with the article.

ProWraps

three charges eh, well three strikes here in california and hes out. give him life without parole.

i mean lets get real here people.

this is a SERIOUS crime. this isnt your typical DUI manslaughter case.

it should be pretty cut and dry why a manslaughter case will net you 6 mo. of home detention and this guys crime is one that we just cant keep letting continue.

a message needs to be sent, that we WILL NOT tolerate this behavior in our society anymore.

Craig Sjoquist

Government creates laws ..just to collect money ... they think they know everything and want us to be dependent on them

government knows how to run and advertise for business...right ...lol
listening to Realtors and developers claiming signage lowers property values

government be it local or fed.regulating advertisement sizes causes less business sales there by lowering value of property ... several years later makes easier to purchase property for government

seen this happen several times changing laws for purposes to purchase later

artsnletters

The DA was on the AM news and said the owner of the building has had many many warnings and issues....the building in question was supposedly built in 1924 (don't quote me) and has hundreds of pounds of banner material hanging from eye bolts. With the Academy Awards this weekend, and many many people below the unpermitted sign installation, Trutanich said it was a safety issue, and the large bail and arrest was to get the guys attention (and it did)...it was half down this morning and would be 100% down by tomorrow.
He is going after unpermitted signs, banners and billboards in the city of LA. I say more power to him...a lot of signage done in LA looks like crap and it's visual blight.
Tim

mollygrubber

I gotta ask, what would that cost just to print?

It seems like they would be a little more liberal in Hollywood, ohh wait signs are capitalism at work.

Small town, a guy puts up a sign that says "DOUGHNUTS", makes sense , it's a doughnut shop. They make him take it down because it doesn't fit their guidelines. He goes to his hearing and the mayor said his doughnuts must not be any good or he wouldn't need a sign. The guy told him he must not be very good because he has a sign on his door that says "MAYOR", they threatened him with contempt.

He got his sign but it had to be less than 8 sq ft and be approved by the commitee.

I know it doesn't compare to supersigns, but it just shows size doesn't matter. ( I'm still talking about signs )

binki

Los Angeles County has over 450 miles of highway in it and the county is small by CA standards. The downtown areas of Los Angeles, Burbank, and Hollywood have lots of square feet of buildings and a number of the older ones have large painted signs on them.

The beef with these signs is permits and fees. The fire dept is used as the black hand to condemn these things by calling them a hazard.

If the city was concerned about anything the council should take a walk around the downtown area. Filled with trash on the streets and dumps masquerading as buildings. Rows of homeless and insane people living on the streets and plenty of unlicensed street vendors selling everything from bathtub cheese to worthless trinkets to cash only parking and ticket scalping of local events.

here is a link with some of the giant signs http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/4005311

and this one is all over the place http://www.thehundreds.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/thehundreds_angelyne6.jpg
http://www.allhiphop.com/photos/storage/1000.4112.22084743.angelyne.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/38/104806874_b32f9e0465.jpg

Mosh

We would have put it up the night before the oscars, that way it was up in the middle of the night and there would not have been time to have it removed. In my town City Hall nicknamed me the "outlaw contractor" I never get permits until after the install.