• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removable Sign Suggestions . . .

Clear Choice

I have an auctioneer customer that wants two removable 2'x3' signs for mounting on the sides of his trailer. He wants them to be removable because he frequently works for other auctioneers and he doesn't feel it is right to be advertising himself at their auctions. He will mount the signs himself...we just have to produce the signs.

We use a 4 mil adhesive stock printed on my HP 5500 wide format printer and then over-laminate the signs for protection.

What substrate would be best to use for the sign base?

Thanks for any help!

Sue

letterman7

What kind of trailer? Enclosed box or open sided landscape? For a box trailer, he'll have to rig either a rail system on the side to slide the panel into or put a couple of bolts through the sides from the inside so he can put a wing nut on the outside to hold the sign on. Either way, you'll need a rigid substrate so it doesn't fly off on the road - .080 aluminum or even alumalite should work just fine.

wes70

As letterman suggested, .080 aluminum or an aluminum composite (dibond, alupanel, polymetal, etc)

cfbeagle

I would use velcro instead of drilling holes in the sides. I had a vending trailer come in here to get redone... The old signs were panels velcro'd on. I didn't think I would ever get that stuff off. He could have driven 100mph and them signs wouldn't have blown off!

wes70

Velcro? I'm not sure I would go that route... but to each his own.

If the trailer has screws in the side, just remove some and use the existing holes to secure the aluminum.

firesignz

Celebrating 10 Years in business
Hopefully this won't offend any merchant members here. I have done a few installs using something SIMILAR to the system shown here. Don't be too quick to dimiss velcro. Using the correct type of hook and loop fastener (3M dual lock) could really be the best answer to this type of need.

http://www.truckads.com/billboard_media_frames.htm

CentralSigns

How bout bolting on a piece of roof flashing. Of course make it look real nice. Then you could use magnetics. Just a thought

Malkin

Dual lock is great stuff. I use it all the time, but I think a thru-bolt should be used for attaching a sign to an over-the-road vehicle.
(or a rail system, banner system etc)

Clear Choice

Thanks for all the help! Our main business is printing
and we only produce small quick signs and banners and no installations.

Since it's his problem HOW he attaches it to the trailer I can make suggestions
but will stay out of the decision making!

I don't know how often he will be needing to remove the signs.
Will the velcro hold up to repeated use?
Would the heavy-duty velcro at HomeD or other hardware type stores be strong enough?
I really hesitate to even suggest velcro if he will pick-up something that won't work well.

jfiscus

Rap Master
What is wrong with magnets for this job? Sounds like a perfect application since they come in 2' wide rolls usually. That or velcro, that's how the semi trailers are getting wrapped now; a large velcro frame.