• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removal of dimensional letters

Bert D'Souza

Hi all,

I'm new to the sign business and I have a client that would like to remove an existing logo (in an in-door reception area) and replace that logo with their current logo.

I believe that the wall has wallpaper on it and I will need to remove the old dimensional letters (attached with studs, I believe) with minimum damage to the wall.

What is the best way to go about doing that? And, how should I cover/fix the holes left from the original logo?

Thank you, in advance, for your input.

Bert.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're gonna need to provide pictures. You're being far too vague with all of your... I believe stuff. It either is or it ins't and you'll need to go and do an actual physical site survey.

You're gonna ruin the wall paper and the walls will need to be patched, so unless the new stuff completely covers it, you're screwed.

MikePro

never looks right patching&painting a studded wall unless you're/they're gonna do the WHOLE thing.... which most likely won't happen if you're the one already contracted to remove. just yank the letters out of the wall, and design your new signage to include a backer panel that covers the old stud holes.

Bert D'Souza

Thanks for your feedback MikePro & Gino. I have attached a pic of the wall with the existing logo.

Existing Reception Dimensional Sign.png

Billct2

With that setup I would recommend removing the existing logo have the clients painting contractor patch and repaint the whole wall (unless you want to handle it also) and then install the new logo

Bert D'Souza

That's probably the best solution, Billct2 - I wouldn't want to be blamed for not matching the paint-job perfectly. Thanks.

rossmosh

The other option is to put the logo on a panel. Mount the panel to the wall. No drywall repair or paint issues.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
What's even better is when a sign company does that and posts it to their Instagram feed to show off their work.

equippaint

There arent any studs. Its all cockeyed, just look at the G and other O. Id give you 1 letter but not this. Go figure out what you have before wasting your time figuring out how youre gonna fix a wall that you wont have to.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Sign companies are not paint and drywall people (thankfully) Get the customer to give you a ready wall when you come and install the new signs.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, those letters are being removed, so however the original people messed it up, is of no concern. Now, if you zoom in on it, it does appear the two 'o's are larger than all the other letters. Nothing to do with rounds being bigger, as they're bigger than the 'c's 's's and 'e's. The 'o's look outta place, completely.

Billct2

Doesn't matter how they are mounted, the wall will need refinishing. Unless maybe they used 3m command strips:rolleyes:

Last edited:

TimToad

Only thing, well maybe not the only thing, but I see this all the time, someone will draw a 12x18, add a radius to the rectangle, and then shrink it for a border. If their are any vector novices out there, take heed; shrinking a shape works well on a circle, and it works well on a rectangle, but that's it. Learn how to properly use your graphics program and stop making shitty signs!

Off topic but a major failure on what is a no brainer.

Hmmmm. Start with a rounded corner rectangle 12"x18" with .75 radius corners. Select shape, choose a negative offset path the distance you want your border to be in from the edge. Choose that inner line, repeat with thickness of border want and you are done. Or stroke it and then convert stroke to outline.

TimToad

I was going to walk someone through it, but I'm not sure how many folks run corel vs flexi vs what have you. In corel you choose the 'contour tool', and instead of a negative offset, it's an offset on the inside.
Or instead you could set the 'outline' to a 1/2" width then 'convert outline to object', problem with this is the 12x18 will turn into a 13x19, then when it's scaled down to the 12x18 the radius will have changed...

I use Illustrator. The steps to do the same thing are all similar in most of the programs available to most of us. It's definitely an eye roll moment when I leave a store and every regulatory type sign has mismatched radiused corners between the edge of the panel and inset line. My feeling is that if you can't figure out how to do that, just don't add an inline border. All it does is cramp your message area and most sign people have margin control issues to begin with. LOL

Johnny Best

You need to have customer repair holes in wall and replace wallpaper after you remove old logo. Plus that is a large reception desk that needs to be moved to have new wall paper installed.
I have no information on rectangles and circles with offset and scaling.