• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removal of printed wrap with 3M Primer 94 - Any tips?

JethroMc

So we're removing a wrap where the previous installer used 3M primer 94 in a BIG way. It's basically everywhere except in the middle of flat body panels. If they were trying to make sure this wrap never failed, they NAILED it. Now that I have the job of getting this off, it seems less of a victory. When you peel it the laminate and vinyl just separate and the unlaminated vinyl that is left behind is VERY hard to remove.

I know that removing this stuff is always a pain, but I thought I'd just ask and see if anyone has any tricks that I might not have heard of before...

Eric H

Rapid remover and a plastic scraper works the best that I have found for removing primer and adhesive. If it's really bad remover, plastic scraper and pressure washer. Wallpaper steamers work really well for removing wraps and vinyl in general. The people that cover every edge of a wrap with primer have not had to remove one because it's a nightmare. To the people that do that please learn how to it right or find a new profession because it's completely unnecessary.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It's a real pain when it's slopped all in the crevices, like door handles and headlights. You almost have to take it all apart just go remove the wrap

So we're removing a wrap where the previous installer used 3M primer 94 in a BIG way. It's basically everywhere except in the middle of flat body panels. If they were trying to make sure this wrap never failed, they NAILED it. Now that I have the job of getting this off, it seems less of a victory. When you peel it the laminate and vinyl just separate and the unlaminated vinyl that is left behind is VERY hard to remove.

I know that removing this stuff is always a pain, but I thought I'd just ask and see if anyone has any tricks that I might not have heard of before...
We use steam because the Primer 94 makes removal much more difficult. Steam gives us a more controllable & much slower heat rise that makes it easier to find the most optimal temperature for removal. Primer 94 increases adhesion to the point where flame removal is not productive. With primer 94, the window of optimum temperature for removal, we call the sweet spot, is reduced to less than 10 degrees. Depending on the type of vinyl used, you need to experiment with different temperatures and you may find a sweet spot that allows you to remove both material and laminate in one shot.
Eric H, I believe, makes a valid point. Either the installer/fabricator didn't know what they were doing or they had no intention of being responsible for the removal.
If you don't have access to a steamer or your steamer isn't powerful enough to produce the heat required, we have found that in some instances, a chemical-heat combination may produce a viable solution. Using the appropriate PPE, test try applying Vinyl Off or low strength paint remover, let dwell then apply heat. Do small test to prevent any potential substrate damage. If neither one of those products work try increasing strengths of paint remover along with degree of PPE. Work on small sections at a time to manage dwell times and reduce any potential substrate damage that could occur. Don't let any chemicals touch uncovered substrate.
The most difficult part of Vinyl removal is discovery, which makes estimating very difficult if not impossible without knowing the Type, Age or Installation process. Primer 94 falls into the Non-Standard category along with Metallic, Reflective and other than 3M material. When we discover this and we find the method that works the best, we stop work on project and approach the client with our discovery and revised pricing. It is harder to restructure price once the vinyl has been removed. Good luck and let us know how this job goes.