• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Replace encoder strip on HP FB500. Also replacing the Shopvac on service station.

javagod

Manager
Hi all:

Two questions:

Has anyone replaced their encoder strip on their HP flatbed? I have the service manual and have successfully replaced printheads and a number of other items but the manual doesn't show instructions on installing encoder strip. Anyone tackled that?

2nd question:
Has anyone done anything creative on replacing the ShopVac on the service station?

Thanks
Dan Purcell
Purcell Printing and Signs
515-331-7565

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
The hardest part of swapping the encoder strip for me (aside from cleaning all the damned double sided foam tape off the bar when I removed the old one) was getting it to slide back in proper by the optical sensor. I don't really have any guide for it I just looked at it and pulled it off of the machine. Its a fairly simple process.

ikarasu

The shop vac is a 240 volt shop vac... So finding one that works might be hard. Our tech says he's tried a few and the machine always randomly threw errors about the suction being too low or too high.

Sucks when hp charges $600 for a tiny $30 shop vac doesn't it? I doubt we'll ever need to change oursm.. but if you find a solution let me know!

Replacing the encoder strips easy. Just go slow and follow the manual... Make sure to wear gloves so you don't get it too dirty. So long as you don't scrape it against something and scratch or you'll be fine.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
I had Montroy order a replacement vacuum, wasn't an issue getting one at the time. After I replaced the old one one of my coworkers looked it over and found it had just needed new bushings.

javagod

Manager
Thanks for the replies. I've got a neighbor at the end of the building that's a big cleaning service that thinks they can replace the bushings on the shop vac. I ordered a encoder, what I'm understanding from the replies is it come with instructions how to pull out the old one.