• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replaced print head and head cables - No ink - vj-1204

This morning I replaced the print head and head cables on my VJ, I refilled ink through the lines. However the print head isn't expelling any colors in print mode. I'm currently browsing forums to find similar issues, but not having much luck. Any suggestions where to look or start?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You want to make sure ink made it through the head first. It's harder on a 1204 but you can take some covers off and watch the waste lines while you run a cleaning. If no ink comes through, you may need to replace the cap top or whole maintenance station. You can also test it by hooking a syringe to one waste line and clogging the other. Pull with the syringe while the head is docked. If you don't get any ink, the maintenance station needs work.

If ink is coming through the head and it still doesn't print, you blew a fuse. Make sure when working on this machine that you unplug it, hit the power button and then let it sit for 10 minutes. Otherwise you will blow the head fuse. On some newer models of the 1204 the fuse is replaceable and has a socket to easily install a new one. If it is older, you will have to solder one on.

Thank you very much! I bought a fuse just in case, because I heard of that happening (DF-49683). The maintenance station has been freshly replaced. Where is the location of the fuse?

My VJ is almost 7 years old. I removed the back cover to locate the main board and don't see a fuse that looks similar to the heard fuse I purchased, so I assume my type machine would need the solder in version. Is there any schematic on the main board available?

vj1204

My VJ is almost 7 years old. I removed the back cover to locate the main board and don't see a fuse that looks similar to the heard fuse I purchased, so I assume my type machine would need the solder in version. Is there any schematic on the main board available?

Check the fuse on main board. It is next heat sink. It has written on it F2 fuse. Just change it. you will in business. Also check F7 and F6 Fuses as well. They are different from F2. Good luck.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The 1204 service guide has the wiring diagram, if you need a copy shoot me an email and I'll send it to you.

wayne k
guam usa

Thanks everyone. Fuse it was when tested. And unfortunately the order of them that was to be overnighted didn't make it. Down one more day :/ but ducks are in a row :) I really appreciate all the help.

Mutoh 1204 help no print no errors cant find f2 fuse

Hi guys sorry too jump in on someone else's post but I couldn't figure out how to start my own so hopefully someone can help me... I've been in the industry for about 14 years working for other companies and have used this forum to bail me out of quite a bit of different issues in the past (thanks to all you guys ive never had to make my own post for help) and have used a mutoh vj1204 from 2007 to 2013 then got a 1604... blah blah blah lol. Anyway I do race car graphics and it has turned into much much more and recently decided to go out on my own so I bought a 1204 along with a bunch of other stuff from someone(the gentleman that i bought it from said that he bought it and said he didnt run but maybe 50 yards of material combined since he bought it new)but the printer had plugged colors in the printhead and in the past had unplugged them myself on my bosses old printer and it worked out great so i thought id be good, anyway i got it all unplugged with nice flow from the whole head and said and done i wound up breaking a nipple on the manifold ordered another one and it was wrong so i ordered another one that was sweet and replaced the dampers while i was at it, anyway i got the head to ink up and has good flow when i do a little charge or cleaning but not a speck of ink comes out wether im doing a nozzle check or print and throws no errors whatsoever and gathered that the f2 fuse should be the issue but after tons of time and many different ways of looking for it on both sides of the main board theres not even a letter F on the entire board that i can find. So here i am asking for some mutoh guru help maybe im missing something but at this point im at a loss and dont want to just move on as i know damn near everything there is to know about this printer about... so i thought....
Ill try to attach good pics of both sides of the board to help you guys help me. I feel like my bad luck has no light at the end of the tunnel and im really hoping not to have to spend thousands of dollars on a board and head as i am making all of these small steps to have my business up and running while taking care of my family and crazy long list of customers thats are patiently waiting for me to be up and running. I guess its the price i have to pay to start my business this way but i feel that any chance i have of resolving my issue lies in the hands of all of you people that care enough to help people like me!

Thanks in advance and i hope for some forward progress soon

P.s. sorry for the life story novel lol

Attachments

• 20160323_224202.jpg
    20160323_224202.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,015
  • 20160325_113959.jpg
    20160325_113959.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 525
Thank you for the direction.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, but I have no idea where the main board is if thats not it, is it under a different part of the printer? Maybe on the other side?

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Everyone is so helpful!

We are a merchant member here on signs101. We are offering another place to order fuses and Mutoh products. We can ship the fuses as late as 5 pm pacific standard time. We can also ship Mutoh products as late as 1pm pacific standard time. That means if you give us a call by 5pm to place an order and select next day service, you will get your parts the next day by 10:30 am or even earlier, by 8:00 am. Hit us up if we can provide this services for you.

fuses for Mutoh and other printers
http://www.premiercolour.com/0-75ma-fuse-for-roland-mutoh-mimaki-printers/

Original maintenance station for all Mutoh Valuejets
http://www.premiercolour.com/search.php?search_query=capping+station

Dampers for Mutoh and other printers
http://www.premiercolour.com/search.php?search_query=dampers

100% oem-matched eco solvent ink from Bordeaux, made in Israel.
http://www.premiercolour.com/search.php?search_query=bordeaux

** Premier Colour, Inc is a wide format printing supplies company based in S. California.
for more information visit www.preimercolour.com or 714-668-9200

RG

Here is another picture of the 1204 main board. Luckily, I have never had to open my printer and find this board. But, I know it has to be in there somewhere. The F2 fuse is as far up as you can go and near the right corner in the attached picture, between those round things (capacitors). If you don't already have one, you really need a service manual. I'm sure someone here would send you a PDF.

Attachments

• Main board 1204.jpg
    Main board 1204.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 640
Ok i have the board out and...

Ok i have board out of the printer and the f2 f6 and f7 fuses are all good. Now i have no idea what could be the problem. Im so bummed. So what could be the problem if its not throwing any errors and acting normal besides no print coming from the head at all.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
How did you test the fuse? If there is no air in the ink lines, the dampers are about half full and you can see ink coming out of the waste tank when you run a cleaning cycle, it has to be the fuse unless you blew all of the transistors which is basically impossible.

bobbiffxx

Hi guys sorry too jump in on someone else's post but I couldn't figure out how to start my own so hopefully someone can help me... I've been in the industry for about 14 years working for other companies and have used this forum to bail me out of quite a bit of different issues in the past (thanks to all you guys ive never had to make my own post for help) and have used a mutoh vj1204 from 2007 to 2013 then got a 1604... blah blah blah lol. Anyway I do race car graphics and it has turned into much much more and recently decided to go out on my own so I bought a 1204 along with a bunch of other stuff from someone(the gentleman that i bought it from said that he bought it and said he didnt run but maybe 50 yards of material combined since he bought it new)but the printer had plugged colors in the printhead and in the past had unplugged them myself on my bosses old printer and it worked out great so i thought id be good, anyway i got it all unplugged with nice flow from the whole head and said and done i wound up breaking a nipple on the manifold ordered another one and it was wrong so i ordered another one that was sweet and replaced the dampers while i was at it, anyway i got the head to ink up and has good flow when i do a little charge or cleaning but not a speck of ink comes out wether im doing a nozzle check or print and throws no errors whatsoever and gathered that the f2 fuse should be the issue but after tons of time and many different ways of looking for it on both sides of the main board theres not even a letter F on the entire board that i can find. So here i am asking for some mutoh guru help maybe im missing something but at this point im at a loss and dont want to just move on as i know damn near everything there is to know about this printer about... so i thought....
Ill try to attach good pics of both sides of the board to help you guys help me. I feel like my bad luck has no light at the end of the tunnel and im really hoping not to have to spend thousands of dollars on a board and head as i am making all of these small steps to have my business up and running while taking care of my family and crazy long list of customers thats are patiently waiting for me to be up and running. I guess its the price i have to pay to start my business this way but i feel that any chance i have of resolving my issue lies in the hands of all of you people that care enough to help people like me!

Thanks in advance and i hope for some forward progress soon

P.s. sorry for the life story novel lol

Hey Brian, check this thread and read my reply (bobbiffxx)
Thread: What next? Mutoh print issue need advice please

bobbiffxx

This morning I replaced the print head and head cables on my VJ, I refilled ink through the lines. However the print head isn't expelling any colors in print mode. I'm currently browsing forums to find similar issues, but not having much luck. Any suggestions where to look or start?

Summit Signs please look at reply that I ( bobbiffxx) posted in this thread
[h=1]Thread: What next? Mutoh print issue need advice please[/h]

How did you test the fuse? If there is no air in the ink lines, the dampers are about half full and you can see ink coming out of the waste tank when you run a cleaning cycle, it has to be the fuse unless you blew all of the transistors which is basically impossible.

I pulled the board out completely and tested the continuity could the head be bad without throwing any errors?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The only time I have seen a head not fire at all is if the fuse is blown, it's completely clogged or there isn't any ink in the system to begin with. Usually you can get something to fire even if you have some major problem. With a bad head, more times than not it will not give you an error. The only head error that shows up occasionally is a head heat error and that is due to an electrical short. Check your head cables to make sure they are not plugged in backwards.

The only time I have seen a head not fire at all is if the fuse is blown, it's completely clogged or there isn't any ink in the system to begin with. Usually you can get something to fire even if you have some major problem. With a bad head, more times than not it will not give you an error. The only head error that shows up occasionally is a head heat error and that is due to an electrical short. Check your head cables to make sure they are not plugged in backwards.

Ok so i guess when i get home ill put the board back in. And i just replaced the data cables and was verry thorough in the removal and install but i will ceck again either way and the head is free and it is inked up like normal and when doing a cleaning or charge ink is flowing great out of the tube that goes into the ink waste tank