• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Replacing wiper holder on vp300

Stevie

After cleaning and changing cap tops, wipers and scraper I realised from images online that my wiper holder had a tiny part missing (on the right above the carriage, holding the wiper horizontal), I found the small piece of plastic under the sponge below, cleaned and glued it on, noisier, but much better test prints. Glue doesn't hold it long though as there is obviously pressure against it when wiper rubs against the scraper, so guess I better replace it.

I've ordered a new wiper holder and am after advice on how to change this on the Roland vp300.

PS strange design that the holder simply rubs along the metal on the right, is that normal or is something else missing?

Thanks in advance :)

Stevie

Much cleaner in there now, but here's what I mean, plastic from holder moves against the metal on the right side, there's even a slight visible groove.

This photo when I was about to change wipers.

Attachments

• 20220122_125835.jpg
    20220122_125835.jpg
    748.5 KB · Views: 153

Stevie

Thanks, I cleaned off ink and glued it up when I spotted it but wanted to make sure it was the right piece as it seemed like this would rub down the plastic over time.

How's the holder to replace? I've had the wiper housing off but not sure if it's as simple as removing the motor and front then sliding on to the shaft? I'm assuming it sets position itself but will mark where it goes just in case.

Stevie

Absolutely at a loss on how to replace the wiper holder on this, I've undone the motor etc, but the actual metal housing although now moveable at the front seems attached somewhere at the rear, page 28 of the manual shows a screw S1, what's the easiest way to get to it, and will it allow me to move the rod so I can replace the plastic holder for wipers? Or is there an easier way? Someone on here must have done this before and can advise?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Can't you pull out the steel rod that the holder slides on?
Don't be a stranger with a screwdriver. Just start taking it apart :)
Maybe open back cover see if you can access from there.
I'm not sure how it's put there but have you tried to pull forward and wiggle this notch out?

1643377135321.png

Stevie

Can't you pull out the steel rod that the holder slides on?
Don't be a stranger with a screwdriver. Just start taking it apart :)
Maybe open back cover see if you can access from there.
I'm not sure how it's put there but have you tried to pull forward and wiggle this notch out?

View attachment 157619
Still no joy on this, Managed to get the tab out shown in the red box, but it's as if something at the rear left side is still attached.. I managed to wiggle it lose some, as it looked like a possible extra tab there but to no avail. I'm still planning (and needing!) to do this repair but am in the process of reassembly as don't want the heads to dry any (they're currently parked in position with isopropyl acohol coating the pots).

I did remove the back right section of the printer to see if anything in there that might help but to no avail.

On another note, the replacement wipers I received seem too stiff for the motor to pull them past the scraper, is this common, and are there any known workarounds? I read of grinding noises from others replacing theirs, and I can see that it's not letting it move. Otherwise, I need a better supplier than the big one in Germany for wipers - and I'm getting tired of paying them postage. Any ideas?

Stevie

I would only use generics. They are sort of flexible rubber.

Thanks. I can see why, just put the original back in (which is white rubber) and straight away the wiper action works, though now it looks like I've some cleaning to do, and hoping that my heads are okay. Test prints are from from what they were previously :(

Tizz

I've run into this issue before. Some wiper blades are too thick (non original), and these don't pass the wiper scraper. The motor that drives this wiper forward will keep turning thus hearing the gear grinding noise. I've measured some wiper blades I've purchased to be 2mm thick and some at 1.5mm thick (both generic). The 1.5mm wiped well in the beginning, then started to get stuck too. There wasn't enough flex in the one's I've bought.