• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rigid roll vinyl recommendation

MHester

I create 28X44" "posters" that go into outdoor frames (stand frames and wall frames, that have a backer-board). I normally use RTape Synaps OM Polyester Film 14 mil and laminate it with Drytac Interlam Pro Emerytex 4 mil, printed on an HP335. This seems to be the right combination of vinyl and lam that creates a product that lasts for 1-2 years in the elements. Recently, I'm having supplier issues getting the Synaps for me, there's a problem at the manufacturer. So, any body have a recommendation on a different product? I have tried Grimco's Briteline PVC-10 but it's too thin. Bummer I don't have a flatbed printer, so all material needs to be on a roll. I'm still a newbie at this (even after 5 years in large format printing), so I'm not sure what my other options are for making a water-resistant poster that's rigid enough to stand on its own, even if it does go into a snap frame. Any advice would be helpful, what is everyone else doing (besides buying a flatbed)? Thanks.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We generally run snap frame inserts on styrene. You might be able to find 020 or 015 styrene on a roll. Problem is, it's not really intended for more than a few months in the sun.

If you want us to help with this, here: https://www.firesprint.com/polystyrene/products/

You could also probably get blank styrene from your local supplier and laminate vinyl to it. That would also help protect it from the sun.

MHester

We generally run snap frame inserts on styrene. You might be able to find 020 or 015 styrene on a roll. Problem is, it's not really intended for more than a few months in the sun.

If you want us to help with this, here: https://www.firesprint.com/polystyrene/products/

You could also probably get blank styrene from your local supplier and laminate vinyl to it. That would also help protect it from the sun.
We used to print on vinyl, laminate it, then mount it onto sheets of 020 styrene, but it took so long to do that, we were loosing $ on labor time...plus we'd always ended up getting a few bubbles trapped here and there. If we have to, we can start doing that again, but we'd prefer not to. Thanks for the tip though, and the link :)

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I create 28X44" "posters" that go into outdoor frames (stand frames and wall frames, that have a backer-board). I normally use RTape Synaps OM Polyester Film 14 mil and laminate it with Drytac Interlam Pro Emerytex 4 mil, printed on an HP335. This seems to be the right combination of vinyl and lam that creates a product that lasts for 1-2 years in the elements. Recently, I'm having supplier issues getting the Synaps for me, there's a problem at the manufacturer. So, any body have a recommendation on a different product? I have tried Grimco's Briteline PVC-10 but it's too thin. Bummer I don't have a flatbed printer, so all material needs to be on a roll. I'm still a newbie at this (even after 5 years in large format printing), so I'm not sure what my other options are for making a water-resistant poster that's rigid enough to stand on its own, even if it does go into a snap frame. Any advice would be helpful, what is everyone else doing (besides buying a flatbed)? Thanks.

I have a few options that will work maybe even better than synaps. PM your info and I will send you some samples.