• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RIP question

D3D

I am about to take possession of an Oce 2280 and will probably go with an Onxy RIP based on some advice about color proofing. But I know there are different versions and licensing options so I would appreciate some advice. Do you have to buy the RIP with licensing for the particular printer you are using or do you have access to all printers it supports? IF I wanted to use it on two workstations, but not at the same time, do I need two licenses? Since the 2280 is older I may be able to find a used copy on ebay is my hope. Thoughts?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
First of all you need Thrive to support it. Then it depends on the license what is allowed on it. You have access to all the printers it supports but on older licenses usually you can use Only one printer at a time.

Now if you purchase a new Thrive it comes with license for two printers and I think also license for two editors (two PC). 4 RIP threads as well so it can handle 4 jobs simultaneously.

D3D

Thanks for the info. Why Thrive, isn't it supported through Postershop? Makes sense about the rest

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Thrive is a network licence.
So you'll be able to plug the dongle in 1 PC and use it on any pc on the same network as long as the RIPqueue is running on 1 pc at a time

If what Balstestrat said is true that all new Thrive comes with 2 printer licences (4 RIP licences / 2 per printer) and 2 editors, then you can actually run it on 2 PCs.
That also means you could run the editor on 1 PC and send the files to a dedicated RIP i believe. i forget how that works with 2 editors.

But you need thrive either way as the Arizona needs Thrive and what you want to do is only achievable with thrive.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Thrive is a network licence.
So you'll be able to plug the dongle in 1 PC and use it on any pc on the same network as long as the RIPqueue is running on 1 pc at a time

If what Balstestrat said is true that all new Thrive comes with 2 printer licences (4 RIP licences / 2 per printer) and 2 editors, then you can actually run it on 2 PCs.
That also means you could run the editor on 1 PC and send the files to a dedicated RIP i believe. i forget how that works with 2 editors.

But you need thrive either way as the Arizona needs Thrive and what you want to do is only achievable with thrive.
Basically you can install full thrive on 2 PC and have 1 printer in each "editor". Those RIP licenses you can share how you want. It's not locked to 2 per printer. You can have all 4 on one PC with only 1 printer or 1 there and 3 on 2nd PC etc.