• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland BN-20A won't perf cut.

SweetTea

I hate to tell you this, but you probably bought the wrong machine for the job. From my experience and I am a little bias, but the BN-20 is a waste of money, you would get better bang for your buck buying a used larger older model like a VS-300i or SP-300i.
Well that really stinks! We did our research, and everything we read said this machine was perfect for a small at home sticker business. ‍

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Well that really stinks! We did our research, and everything we read said this machine was perfect for a small at home sticker business. ‍
I know, they sell that machine like it's the bee's knee's, but it's not, needs much improvement, the only benefit it really offers, is that it's more compact. It doesn't even have a heater, so for sticker businesses, that's a big downer.

SweetTea

they might have something in a permanent, might be worth you taking a look. But in the meantime I'd try that 3mil stuff you have to see if the printer cuts through it, just to confirm my suspicions.
It does cut all the way through, it's just to thin to use as die cut stickers. I'd say the backing material was the same thickness. As the caliper reads it at 9 and a bit mm.

SweetTea

I know, they sell that machine like it's the bee's knee's, but it's not, needs much improvement, the only benefit it really offers, is that it's more compact. It doesn't even have a heater, so for sticker businesses, that's a big downer.
Well, we fell for it hook, line and, sinker!

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
That 16 mil, was the specs of the machine in the most ideal situation, so the little over 12 mil, just might be too much for it to handle.

Hi everyone! We just purchased a BN-20A, and the print is amazing, but we can't get it to consistently perf cut! 98% of the time it kiss cuts, and only etches the backing. We are using 6mil vinyl, highest force and blade is all the way out (last ditch effort). I'm ready to just do all the cutting on my silhouette, which defeats the purpose of the all in one. Also, we are looking at new blades and a holder, but unsure which to purchase.

Any and all insights would be greatly appreciated!
I've never tried this but set it to make more than 1 pass on the cut

hobbymad

I gave up trying to perf cut on anything with a cutting strip. Got a Graphtec which has the groove for cutting and have not looked back. I really don't know why other manufacturers don't have this ingenious system. In fact, I have never used the cutting strip on my Graphtec and leave it on the groove for everything including kiss cutting. My combo is now a BN20 + FC9000-750 and its perfect for my small shop which produces promo items mostly for my own business - although I could easily take on small runs for others. Keeping the printing and cutting separate also lets me leave the print to outgas for a few hours - a step I found essential especially on prints with a lot of black. They curled pretty badly if cutting straight after or close to the ink. Or you could print, outgas, laminate and then cut while leaving your BN20 doing what it should be doing mostly - printing.

As an aside, not sure why a good few people on this forum bash the BN20, its a great little beginner/small run machine and gives amazing quality prints, albeit slower than others. Also the footprint can't be beaten for a small shop in terms of quality/sq foot. Getting the right roll length is not all that hard, most suppliers will cut it for you and if not, I just measure the lengths I want, put masking tape over and cut the roll carefully using a miter saw (cut half then rotate 90 and cut other half). Then just get rid of all the dust and sticky bits with a vacuum, wipe and finally use a Swiffer.

Last edited: