• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland DGA TrafficWorks

Sortrac

Hey guys !

I was looking to purchase an avery traffic Jet printer, but there seems to be no good Mutoh Technicians in my province. I then stumbled on the Roland DGA TrafficWorks, wich got me excited , since we already run 3x roland printers and 1x roland plotter, but there is no reviews what so ever yet. (even my supplier had no idea it even existed).

Anyone have some feedback, or has one of their own?

It seems to me like a bone stock TrueVIS VG2 (+dryer unit), with stock ink sets?! So the TR2 inks can print on non-printable vinyls? (Oralite 5900 is suggested in the brochure)

and is the software and dryer unit really worth the 12k upgrade ?

and since we are here, how is the new truevis VG2 reliability this time around? I know it had many known issues when the first gens came out.

Thanks in advance !

Joe House

Your dealer will have to get qualified with Roland to sell this, but it's not a big deal - just education on the whole thing. I was able to get it done in an afternoon. The Roland package is teamed up with Oralite for the certified end product. Yes it is using the tried and true Roland inks. If you're familiar with Roland printers, this is probably the way to go. You will have to learn the Flexi software, which is also part of the certified package. But you can use the printer for other jobs using Versaworks. Your operator will need to take some online training to become certified as well.
VG2 printers are pretty stable now the the damper issue has been resolved.

Good Luck!

Sortrac

Your dealer will have to get qualified with Roland to sell this, but it's not a big deal - just education on the whole thing. I was able to get it done in an afternoon. The Roland package is teamed up with Oralite for the certified end product. Yes it is using the tried and true Roland inks. If you're familiar with Roland printers, this is probably the way to go. You will have to learn the Flexi software, which is also part of the certified package. But you can use the printer for other jobs using Versaworks. Your operator will need to take some online training to become certified as well.
VG2 printers are pretty stable now the the damper issue has been resolved.

Good Luck!
Great! That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping to hear! As for the media itself, can it also print on non printable materials? (like oralite 5800 for example)?

Joe House

Can it print? - Not the right question. It probably can print, but will you get the results you need is what you should be asking. Roland's compliant traffic media is Oralite 5900 with 5061 Laminate for permanent signage. So you can assume that it can print on the 5900. I'm not familiar with 5800 though. It would be best to stick with the certified/compliant combinations. In my opinion, when you step outside the box on traffic signage, you're opening yourself up for liability if someone gets into an accident and claims they "didn't see the sign". As long as you're creating compliant signs, you're covered.
If we're not talking highway or street signage and you just want to print stuff, my advice would be to get a sample and try it out. If it's pre purchase of the printer, get the sample of material and ask your dealer or Roland to print out samples for you. It would be best if you could go watch it print to get and idea of the speed vs quality. I also recommend that you stick with materials that are certified for printing with the type of printer you have. You may test fine on one roll or the start of one roll, but if the manufacturer isn't maintaining quality control for print issues, you could run into surprises.

Good Luck

Sortrac

Can it print? - Not the right question. It probably can print, but will you get the results you need is what you should be asking. Roland's compliant traffic media is Oralite 5900 with 5061 Laminate for permanent signage. So you can assume that it can print on the 5900. I'm not familiar with 5800 though. It would be best to stick with the certified/compliant combinations. In my opinion, when you step outside the box on traffic signage, you're opening yourself up for liability if someone gets into an accident and claims they "didn't see the sign". As long as you're creating compliant signs, you're covered.
If we're not talking highway or street signage and you just want to print stuff, my advice would be to get a sample and try it out. If it's pre purchase of the printer, get the sample of material and ask your dealer or Roland to print out samples for you. It would be best if you could go watch it print to get and idea of the speed vs quality. I also recommend that you stick with materials that are certified for printing with the type of printer you have. You may test fine on one roll or the start of one roll, but if the manufacturer isn't maintaining quality control for print issues, you could run into surprises.

Good Luck
Will do. I was more interested to know if it printed on other reflective sheeting for industrial use! For Road signs I will use the compliant vinyl!

Thanks a bunch :D