• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP-540V or Roland SP-540I

designtcd

Hello, I am planning to buy a Roland plotter soon, I have a Roland SP-540V and Roland SP-540i on offer, what do you suggest, what are your experiences? And that's roughly the price of the SP-540i with bad heads. Greetings and thanks for the reply

FrankW

The SP540i is the successor of the SP540V, should be at least younger, and the better choice. The 540i has technology to reduce banding in prints (intelligent pass control), what the 540V dont have. The 540i will do automatic environment match what the older one wont do (important for contour cutting precision). At the 540V Capping movement is electrical what could cause problems a SP540 with its mechanical system will never have. Because of thicker ink tubes and bigger Dampers, some Problems with ink flow will be avoided on the newer model.

Terry01

Both are good machines and wont let you down. You can spend $1.5k on either to have it back up to original condition.

designtcd

The SP540i is the successor of the SP540V, should be at least younger, and the better choice. The 540i has technology to reduce banding in prints (intelligent pass control), what the 540V dont have. The 540i will do automatic environment match what the older one wont do (important for contour cutting precision). At the 540V Capping movement is electrical what could cause problems a SP540 with its mechanical system will never have. Because of thicker ink tubes and bigger Dampers, some Problems with ink flow will be avoided on the newer model.
and since there is no intelligent pass control on the Roland SP-540V, does this mean that it will print lines even when it is in high quality, or if one nozzle is missing, can you explain to me the intelligent pass control on the Roland sp-540v, which does not have it ?

FrankW

I cant explain basic printer technology in a few words. There are several possible reasons for banding, and with some of them IPC will help to reduce. It is NOT that the SPV will have banding everytime, and the SPi never. For example you need to be much more precise with adjusting the feed of the non-IPC-printer.