• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP540v printing black but not cyan

inthesignbiz

Can't really seem to find any information on this issue.
Cyan ink cartridge is about 3/4 full but won't print.
Was printing a job and about half way through, it just quit.
Black does OK.
Any ideas?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Sounds like it could be a failing damper. Is there ink in the line? When a damper fails or if an air leak happens anywhere along the ink line, the ink naturally recedes back to the cartridge. Dampers should be changed every 18 to 24 months.

Sean@CedarHouse

Printing Money
SP540 share the same captop. So... it's got to be something between the head and the ink cartridges I'm guessing.

Check the damper and see if there is ink it in. There might be an air leak. If there isn't any ink in the damper, or the plastic on the damper looks puffy then replace it. There is a rubber washer in those that fail sometimes as well.

Also take a quick look up the ink line as far as you can go and see if there is any ink leaking. There are a couple brass fittings along the way and sometimes the little rubber washers in those fail with age. If you see a leak then you will have to replace the washer.

You might also just swap out the ink cartridge and see if something with the cartridge went wrong. I've heard of this happening but I've never seen it.

Hope this helps.

inthesignbiz

OK, checked the lines and there's not a detectable leak.
However, now the magenta has quit as well.
There does not appear to be ink in the lines when removing the I/S Cover.
Damper you suppose?
I see them on Amazon but would much rather have an OEM damper.

inthesignbiz

Sounds like it could be a failing damper. Is there ink in the line? When a damper fails or if an air leak happens anywhere along the ink line, the ink naturally recedes back to the cartridge. Dampers should be changed every 18 to 24 months.
Found one on your website.
Will the small damper work?

Don't want to take the machine apart without having the replacement part.
Thanks!
Phil

Last edited:

inthesignbiz

Still have problems.
Replaced the dampers and still no ink in the lines.
Could the pump be bad?

Odd thing is, the yellow is good.
The CMK have no ink in the lines.

Sean@CedarHouse

Printing Money
You need to draw ink though the line with a syringe. The pump wont pull ink as fast. It's also possible the nipple on the head manifold has a crack in it causing you to draw just air.

Draw ink through the damper first. Not through the cap (this draws ink through the head as well.) Drawing a lot of ink though the head can damage it. Once the ink is up to the damper and it's full, then put it back on the head. Then do a small draw of ink from the pump side with the print carriage in the cap position pulling ink through the head.

Then do a power clean with the machine.

See what happens from there.

inthesignbiz

You need to draw ink though the line with a syringe. The pump wont pull ink as fast. It's also possible the nipple on the head manifold has a crack in it causing you to draw just air.

Draw ink through the damper first. Not through the cap (this draws ink through the head as well.) Drawing a lot of ink though the head can damage it. Once the ink is up to the damper and it's full, then put it back on the head. Then do a small draw of ink from the pump side with the print carriage in the cap position pulling ink through the head.

Then do a power clean with the machine.

See what happens from there.
Thank you kind sir.
Seems to have done the trick!

Demsey

Hello:

I have a ROLAND SP 540V and similar problem except that the BLACK and CYAN on the same head seems to be working fine BUT the YELLOW and MAGENTA on the other head are not working. I have inks in the line and have checked the head for blockage. If I pull ink from the head ( from one tube), I see the CYAN and BLACK flowing to the head but not YELLOW and MAGENTA. When I tried to pull ink from the other tube, it is very hard to pull and nothing comes out. What possibly can be wrong? Can there be a blockage somewhere in the MS below the MS / capping station or can this be damper issue? Please HELP!

Regards,

Demi

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Hello:

I have a ROLAND SP 540V and similar problem except that the BLACK and CYAN on the same head seems to be working fine BUT the YELLOW and MAGENTA on the other head are not working. I have inks in the line and have checked the head for blockage. If I pull ink from the head ( from one tube), I see the CYAN and BLACK flowing to the head but not YELLOW and MAGENTA. When I tried to pull ink from the other tube, it is very hard to pull and nothing comes out. What possibly can be wrong? Can there be a blockage somewhere in the MS below the MS / capping station or can this be damper issue? Please HELP!

Regards,

Demi

If you pulled on with a syringe from the cap top tube and it pulled really hard but no ink came out, the cap top is probably clogged. I would fill the cap with cleaning solution, let it sit for about 15 minutes, and then try to pull it through with the syringe again. You can also feel around the tube for any clogs and try to work them out with your fingers. Once you can get flow through the cap top, it should start to pull ink again.