• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VP540 Cleaning when printing

Mikethestripe

Lines ,signs & designs
Hello Everyone

My roland VP-540 is pausing and cleaning itself at various times during print jobs?

I had a recent low ink warning on one of the colors and instantly replaced with new 220mil Roland ink cartridge

Just started doing this recently / always used factory ink in printer !

Anyone out there ever have this issue before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

DL Signs

Never go against the family
There's a setting in one of the menus for Periodic Cleaning, think it's in the sub-menu. Set the value to "none", that should stop it.

Mikethestripe

Lines ,signs & designs
There's a setting in one of the menus for Periodic Cleaning, think it's in the sub-menu. Set the value to "none", that should stop it.
thank you for your response DL but I've tried that already .....unfortunately this didn't solve the issue

DL Signs

Never go against the family
thank you for your response DL but I've tried that already .....unfortunately this didn't solve the issue
It's been a minute since I worked with Rolands, so I'm going off of old man memory, but if that's off, then it's probably trying to pump up ink.

4 main causes. 1) Wrong aftermarket ink (rule that out since you don't use them) 2) Air in an ink line. If it was that you'd probably have some print issues/ bad test print with a color 3) dampers need replacing. 4) cap tops dirty or worn out and need cleaning or replacing.

If the dampers aren't filling properly when it's docked it'll keep trying to fill them by cleaning while printing. Usually turns out to be worn out/ dirty cap tops, or a damper. Both the cap tops and dampers are wear items that need periodic replacement, cap tops need regular manual cleaning. A good place to start is do a thorough manual cleaning, inspect & clean the cap tops, if there's any debris or dried ink on the seals or around the edge of a head it won't seal properly and sucks air instead of ink. If it just needs cleaning that might fix it, if a seal is dried out, cracked, or looks collapsed, replace em'. If that's all good, then move on to the dampers, take the cover off the head, you should be able to see if one or more are really low. Back when I had Rolands I always kept extra cap tops and dampers on hand, cheap parts, easy to replace, usually solves a lot of issues.

Joe House

The VP doesn't have damper sensors, so it's not able to measure ink flow. Are any of your inks expired? Roland inks are good for 2 years from the date printed on the cartridge. This and as pointed out, third party inks will cause this head protection feature. If you have all good ink, then you likely have a chip reading problem.

Good Luck

Mikethestripe

Lines ,signs & designs
It's been a minute since I worked with Rolands, so I'm going off of old man memory, but if that's off, then it's probably trying to pump up ink.

4 main causes. 1) Wrong aftermarket ink (rule that out since you don't use them) 2) Air in an ink line. If it was that you'd probably have some print issues/ bad test print with a color 3) dampers need replacing. 4) cap tops dirty or worn out and need cleaning or replacing.

If the dampers aren't filling properly when it's docked it'll keep trying to fill them by cleaning while printing. Usually turns out to be worn out/ dirty cap tops, or a damper. Both the cap tops and dampers are wear items that need periodic replacement, cap tops need regular manual cleaning. A good place to start is do a thorough manual cleaning, inspect & clean the cap tops, if there's any debris or dried ink on the seals or around the edge of a head it won't seal properly and sucks air instead of ink. If it just needs cleaning that might fix it, if a seal is dried out, cracked, or looks collapsed, replace em'. If that's all good, then move on to the dampers, take the cover off the head, you should be able to see if one or more are really low. Back when I had Rolands I always kept extra cap tops and dampers on hand, cheap parts, easy to replace, usually solves a lot of issues.
thank you DL.....I will look into it :)