• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Router / cutter for new sign shop

Jr gong

Hi y'all, I have a new sign business and in the future I would be looking to purchase a router that can cut:
- pvc
- coroplast
- foam etc

Basically simple cut out signs.
I've seen a shop locally using a small one and they do allota work with it, not sure if it's a cheapo Chinese machine but it does get allot usage.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jason DeLuca

If you're just going to cut out small stuff Vision makes a nice machine with a camera system that is 25" x 50" and is fairly in expensive
For a larger higher end machine I think Zund has the best equipment on the market, but the Kongsberg table is nice as well.

Sandman

If you are going to just cut shapes I would not invest in a CNC machine. Using a CNC as a glorified jig saw is like putting a 2,000 horse power funny car engine in a Volkswagon. There are very good hand operated jig saws out there and between the CNC and the software, AND the time invested in learning both, isn't worth it. Now if you plan on doing 2.5D or 3D work in HDU, now that's a different story, but to use a CNC just to cut out shapes is not a practical use of your money or time.

If you are going to just cut shapes I would not invest in a CNC machine. Using a CNC as a glorified jig saw is like putting a 2,000 horse power funny car engine in a Volkswagon. There are very good hand operated jig saws out there and between the CNC and the software, AND the time invested in learning both, isn't worth it. Now if you plan on doing 2.5D or 3D work in HDU, now that's a different story, but to use a CNC just to cut out shapes is not a practical use of your money or time.

Can't say I agree with that. Hand jig saw isn't going to be as fast or as clean. Yea you can make it clean, but not 100 of the same sign blank all matching perfect. And not in the amount of time it will take the CNC machine to do it. We use a CNC machine all day, every day and we don't do any 2.5D or 3D work.

Jr gong

Can't say I agree with that. Hand jig saw isn't going to be as fast or as clean. Yea you can make it clean, but not 100 of the same sign blank all matching perfect. And not in the amount of time it will take the CNC machine to do it. We use a CNC machine all day, every day and we don't do any 2.5D or 3D work.
I was thinking this. I do really clean sophisticated work most times , so this may be a issue.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Christian @ 2CT Media

Can we vote for the worst advice ever?

Seriously we just ran 350 printed acp contour shaped signs, to do that by hand would be a nightmare and inefficient and expensive. Our cnc cutter zipped it out in a day vs by hand would take a week or more.

CalverleyDesign

President - The Calverley Group
I recently purchased a 4’x8’ CNC Router w/ a Penske Spindle, Vaccum Ready (but no pump), included Mach3 Software and Computer/Monitor, Material Depth Tecnology and VCarve for $25k. Simple to use, easy software to understand and you can design what you want in CorelDraw or Illustrator, save as .eps...import into VCarve and export the GCode and its pretty simple.

Trace@NorthStarSignsandGraphics.com

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I recently purchased a 4’x8’ CNC Router w/ a Penske Spindle, Vaccum Ready (but no pump), included Mach3 Software and Computer/Monitor, Material Depth Tecnology and VCarve for $25k. Simple to use, easy software to understand and you can design what you want in CorelDraw or Illustrator, save as .eps...import into VCarve and export the GCode and its pretty simple.

Trace@NorthStarSignsandGraphics.com
Not to hijack the original thread, but get a vacuum for hold down.