• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Routing ACM to second layer

mvanmeter

Folks,

We want to route through the aluminum layer of some ACM so we can have a sign where the aluminum letters stand proud of the black middle material. If we route away the top aluminum layer using our router, we will have "tracks" where the router bit went back and forth during it's routing. How do people get rid of these "tracks" or prevent them from happening in the first place?

Thanks!

Mike

John L

What is ACM? Leaving tracks isn't always, but CAN be a sign that your Z axis is not square to the table surface.

Also, whenever I cut materials laminated with an aluminum face I ramp into the material, never a plunge.

mvanmeter

Nope...we're using a router bit. I guess we should use an endmill since they are flat (dohhh!) and not pointed like a router bit.

Eric H

Use a straight router bit 1/8" 1/4" whatever fits your project. I don't think there is any way to do a clean out and not get machining marks. Some bits may be better than others but nothing is going to leave it perfectly smooth.