• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Rule of thumb on lamming heat

Splattgraphics

Can a few folks offer their rule of thumb when it comes to using heated rollers, or not, when laminating various prints? Please consider small stickers on up to full width stuff...

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Usually only use heat on matte and luster laminates, as they tend to silver. Gloss laminates don't so that as much. But you are free to use heat assist on anything really, but too much heat can stretch your cast laminates and cause issues, so use little as possible. I don't go over 90 degrees on anything.

Rule of thumbs: use heat - no silvering, forget to turn on heat - silvering is present for 24h and then it disappears so it doesn't really matter if you use heat or not

bannertime

Our laminator has heated rollers. We made sure it was plugged into a circuit that could handle it, installed the heater elements, and then never used the heat. Everything has laminated just fine without it. We do get silvering in some jobs, but that is all gone by the next morning.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We pretty much leave our laminator on 40° Celsius because I cba changing it, never get any slivering (UV prints) and have never had any issues. Also helps when loading the new roll of laminate, I put it on, leave it on a heated roller for a minute for any wrinkles to come out then hit play. Works every time.

karst41

Hi all,

When applying Luster Lam to psa vinyl, I never had a silvering issue while using a Seal Pro 62 Cold Laminators.

A conversation with the 3m rep for the Atlanta area revealed that cold is preferred but if you use heat then keep it between 90 & 100 deg f.
Also important is to Not Stretch the film, by applying too much tension on the supply spindle.

I was at a demo and they had the laminator temp to 141 deg, and stretched the lam by more than .25" on each side.
Guess what happened when the lines of text was cut and weeded, it went all wavy.

Hope this helps.
C