• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S160T vs S2 160T: what's the difference?

Rayd8

Hi All, i have an option to buy a used S160T. I currently have a D160R. An S2 160T isn't a real option for my budgetwise, but since this S160T is crossing my path i'm really tempted. I'm just wondering what the difference is between the (original) S160T and the S2 160T?
Thanks for any insights on this.
Ray

Last edited:

FrankW

The S160T (sold from 2005 to 2012) looks nearly the same as the S2 160T (sold since 2013), with the following main differences:

S has a black and white touchscreen, S2 has a coloured one
S has USB and serial interface, S2 has USB and LAN
On the S2, it is possible to add additional middle pinch rollers in the field

There are some other little differences like different motors and electronic.

The OPOS-Sensor is the same (there are differences in OPOS-CAM only as far as I know), the S can do OPOS XY and OPOS Barcode, but improvements as optimization to OPOS panneling or the movement of the head which are added by firmware upgrades to the S2 are not available anymore for S.

Because the S is now nearly 10 years off the market, they will be out of service soon. The black and white touchscreen is not available anymore now for years, Summa has offered a kit for changing to the coloured touchscreen by replacing the right cover and mainboard, but this is more expensive than the replacement screen. Unfortunately the screen is the part which dies often. Dont now what happens with other parts in the future.

The S is minimum 10 years old (max 17 years). Be aware of that when negotiating the price (the serial number should show year and month of manufacturing). I‘m a summa technician, I have seen older S in fine condition, but others are nearly to break down. While at the older Summasigns the most expensive Part, the tangential head, is commonly the first part who dies, on the S/S1 that is no typical defect.

If you have a look at the used one, check if the motors do some irregular noise, if the contrast of the screen is ok even after a few minutes, if the USB-Port works, and if the OPOS-Sensor lowers correctly (not need multiple tries to lower).

Rayd8

The S160T (sold from 2005 to 2012) looks nearly the same as the S2 160T (sold since 2013), with the following main differences:

The OPOS-Sensor is the same (there are differences in OPOS-CAM only as far as I know), the S can do OPOS XY and OPOS Barcode, but improvements as optimization to OPOS panneling or the movement of the head which are added by firmware upgrades to the S2 are not available anymore for S.

Because the S is now nearly 10 years off the market, they will be out of service soon. The black and white touchscreen is not available anymore now for years, Summa has offered a kit for changing to the coloured touchscreen by replacing the right cover and mainboard, but this is more expensive than the replacement screen. Unfortunately the screen is the part which dies often. Dont now what happens with other parts in the future.

The S is minimum 10 years old (max 17 years). Be aware of that when negotiating the price (the serial number should show year and month of manufacturing). I‘m a summa technician, I have seen older S in fine condition, but others are nearly to break down. While at the older Summasigns the most expensive Part, the tangential head, is commonly the first part who dies, on the S/S1 that is no typical defect.

If you have a look at the used one, check if the motors do some irregular noise, if the contrast of the screen is ok even after a few minutes, if the USB-Port works, and if the OPOS-Sensor lowers correctly (not need multiple tries to lower).
Hi Frank, Superdanke fur deine hilfreiche Infos. (That's superthanks for the Infos)

ProColorGraphics

I added extra pinch rollers myself to my S140T. ;) Wasn't that hard.

Mine is ~12 years old and still work awesome. I have replaced one of the motors, which I did myself. Otherwise no issues at all.