• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Same old subject "3rd Party vs OEM"

jc1cell

Ok, here's a new twist on this tried and true subject. Currently running 3rd party OEM on a VJ 1604 and from the beginning I have noticed that, although cured, it can be rubbed off fairly easily. I never had the opportunity to test OEM since it was switched almost immediately so I can't say how they compare to each other. I am interested in testing other 3rd Party to see if this issue doesn't happen with them. The only reason I haven't suggested reverting to OEM is the limitation that cartridges bring and not the actual price of the ink.

So here's the twist. We have all shared the reasons why we should and shouldn't. I would like to read about real issues like the one I have described. The real world experience that has happened to you when trying these inks and the reason you decided to try them.

Have you seen better hold with OEM or 3rd Party?
Have you seen more durability with OEM or 3rd Party?
Smell factor with OEM vs 3rd Party?
etc.

jc

Flame

I have only used Lava and OEM in my Mutoh. My opinion is:

1. Lava inks put out far more smell than the OEM.

2. Colors are more vibrant with OEM.

3. Colors hold considerably better with OEM than Lava.

IMO, you get what you pay for. I never even used all of my Lava inks, ended up throwing them out once I noticed I was sacrificing quality.

That'd be my $0.02

D

DARLAK

i don't understand why anybody is still using cartridges, switch to bulk ink....

Bogie

I wish I could buy the OEM stuff in jugs...

My take: I'm taking $0.15 worth of substrate, and (generally well) under $0.85 worth of ink, and I'm selling the result for at least $3.75... I can deal with that.

3dsignco

I can't speak for anything but the OEM Mutoh as that is all we use is the 440s in our Printer.
But I can say I have been very pleased with the results of their ink.
Yesterday for example.
We did a 1/2 wrap for the Rockies World Series and since it only has to last 3 weeks we didn't bother to laminate it but I was a little nervous about scratching the print when we were installng but it went on without a hitch and didn't even use felt squegges just PA1s not a scratch. So that is something to say about their Inks as I would never had tried that with the Roland Inks.

jc1cell

Chicago,

I'm working with Go Eco One Eco Solvent Inks right now. I'm satisfied with its performance colorwise. I'm not very happy with its grab on the media.

I would love to stick with OEM but the cartridges are too limiting for overnight printing.

jc

MobileImpact

LAVA INK RULES!

I Know Flamey is having issues, but his inks are not the problem.

I have been running Lava on my Falcon for about 6 months. More Vibrant colors, More Durable prints, 1/2 the price and have yet to have a head, damper or any other failure. I did tweek a couple profiles, but for the most part I use the same profiles I use for OEM ink.

I am switching over my Mimaki this weekend. At $38 a cartridge for 220's you can't beat it!

Kevin

Flame

LAVA INK RULES!

I Know Flamey is having issues, but his inks are not the problem.

I have been running Lava on my Falcon for about 6 months. More Vibrant colors, More Durable prints, 1/2 the price and have yet to have a head, damper or any other failure. I did tweek a couple profiles, but for the most part I use the same profiles I use for OEM ink.

I am switching over my Mimaki this weekend. At $38 a cartridge for 220's you can't beat it!

Kevin

I am not blaming my printer breaking down on the Lava inks, but it's perfectly obvious that they weren't as good as my OEM inks. Maybe I got a bad batch, who knows. But it was clear to me and anyone who compared the prints side by side.... that OEM was far superior.

Maybe it's different for different models, but it worked like **** for me.

MobileImpact

No worries Master of the flame!

I know I still owe you a doughnut from your network issues. But I would be willing to go double or nothing with you.

I will print the exact same file. Once with OEM Ink and then again with Lava Ink- The test, tell me which is which. You nor most people here would be able to tell. It looks feels tastes and acts like OEM ink.

I know your having some issues, but it seemed you were blaming the Ink. If you don't like it, that's cool. I love it and pay a hell of a lot less per sq ft then OEM. I have yet to have a failure of any type, either on a print, or my on my printers. My vehicle as well as a host of others are wrapped with it. I have banners all over town and not one has failed.

There is more to printing then plugging in a cartridge, opening a file and hitting the print file. Profiles, etc have a lot to do with it.

If you want OEM and feel it's best for you- more power to you.
Just because you had a bad experience, doesn't mean the product is crap.

Kevin

Flame

Color aside (my profiles are screwed anyways).... my 2 issues were:

1. smell

2. Durability

You can't deny the smell. If you run solvent printers, you know the smell. I wasn't used to that, and my shop is too small for the smells.

I'll try to get pics of this customers banner that literally had the ink "peel" off. I had to refund him his money... because all the ink was coming off, just in rolling it up and transporting it to his event.

No need for tests. I'm happy sticking to OEM for a while. May try Triangle later in life.... but sticking to OEM to be safe.

jc1cell

Chicago,

I've heard good things about triangle, along with negatives. But most of the time the negatives are from people using Mega inks. I've been thinking about Lava inks also.

Quite honestly, I will probably try another 3rd party ink in the long run but I'm going to stick with the Eco One for now.

The purpose of the thread is to hear real world experience about the users inks so others (like myself) can learn about the performance of the different brands out there.

I'm pretty happy with the color quality of the Eco One. It's the fact that it can be rubbed off that gets me but I guess I need a bit more time to test it thoroughly in the many different applications.

jc