• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scitex FB700: Unable to fill print heads after changing ink

Lindquist

In the last two weeks, I've had this problem occur three times (first on White, then Cyan, and today on Yellow).

When I switch the ink, the FB700 is unable to fill the print heads after the new box is installed.

So far, I've managed to make it work after screwing with it for an hour or so. I've taken the ink out and shaken it more, gone through the "fill print head" option multiple times (it often fails at least once), and restarted the printer multiple times. Eventually, the fill print head procedure works and everything is good, but I'm not sure why this is happening at all. Normally we just swap the ink and it's all good.

What would be causing this problem?

danno

We have seen the same issue with ours. I was informed that by placing some pressure on the bag inside the new box while trying to fill, all goes well. Also, check the inline filters above the printheads. Filters should be clear, not discoloured.

greysquirrel

Make sure you prime the filters on the end of the ink boxes before installing. If you are still having an issue, open box and make sure that the like is not kinked or bent.

if vacuum errors...get 2 hemostat clamps...remove service station cover, remove carriage cover.
clamp air tube(clear) clamp black tube to affected color...use Phillips screwdriver and remove 4 screws in reservoir...separate reservoir remove and dry O-ring...clean upper and lower portion make sure they are dry...re-install o-ring on upper portion and reconnect...make sure it seats properly. You can damage the grooves if not...install 4 screws...don't completely tighten...wiggle upper portion a bit to ensure fit...tighten screws.

go on control panel..printhead procedures and fill head with ink..

GP_Oz

All this talk of neg pressure lines and filters is a bit weird as its not related to the error at all.
The fb7x0/5x0 are odd units and you need to get inside how they think to understand how they error and especially their false errors.

What the error is, basically

The Thermistors report it needs it - ie. ink and air thermistors are reading the same.
Machine pumps ink to fill
The ink thermistor does not register the change in temp/ink fill within the allocated time.
Bang - ink fill error.

Most likely cause is ink flow

From what Ive seen in all repairs to this error thus far.
Changing the filter has not fixed any of them, but its a good thing to do first anyway.
Run the ink fill from user panel and then put your hand on the pump as it tries to fill. Get a reference from a working colour if its your first time.
Compare.
There is also a ink pump flow test procedure in the machine - you'll need to unkook inkline from res and pump into an empty bottle.
The ink pumps are pretty weak imo and we have changed out quite a few indeed probably because the inline ink filters are not being changed as needed and put more stress on the pump..

danno

Just thought of one other thing. The glue on the thermistors has been known to drop down and give a false reading. It is possible that the thermistor itself needs to be cleaned of debris and/or dried ink.

wunder

often we see it that the bags have to many air inside...

Display says 400ml left but in real the box is empty and the inklines become air inside.....need to replace the inkbox before empty !!! need to check it manually !!!

Next step.....is the connector from box......sometime the nibble on it (think is CPC Product) if you plug it correct...hear a click or feel a click....thats not garanted thats work.....double check it.....start ink fill....you can hear the pump ? in the pump state push it again the connector in his place and you will hear the pump works.....sometimes need to change the connector from new box from a old one thats correct works....

GP_Oz

Just thought of one other thing. The glue on the thermistors has been known to drop down and give a false reading. It is possible that the thermistor itself needs to be cleaned of debris and/or dried ink.

Yep that does happen quite a bit, but that usually gives you the opposite problem - The thermistor thinking ink tank is full so it never requests ink fill.
Easy way to check is view thermistor readings via "system info" and do a purge. If ink thermistor states "ink" but nothing or very little comes out your best bet is to take off the top cap and have a bit of a look inside to see if there is any ink in res.

Andrew Hodgson

Make sure the ink line is not kinked as I've had that happen before. Also make sure you change out ink before it runs out.

I had the same issue as OP. Your comment is what fixed my issue. I cut open the cardboard box that houses the ink bag, the box was putting 2 kinks into the line that you couldn't until you took off some of the cardboard housing.

greysquirrel

so if this is a recent issue, make sure the tube from the ink box does not have a kink. Before connecting new box to printer make sure you prime the filter on the end of that line. Paper towel in hand, pride the white plunger while putting pressure on bag. Once you get a drop of ink you can plug it into the printer. Cyan is thicker and notorious for not self priming. Always verify the source first. If you are still having an issue then you may need to reseat or replace the rings at the thermistors. If you've never done this you need to be very careful. If you tighten and they are not perfectly aligned it's gonna cost you 2k for a new one. Id call a tech for this.