• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sealing vinyl under epoxy?

Desert_Signs

I'm in the process of re-doing the floors in the shop. The last step is clear epoxy over the finish to seal it.

I'm thinking of putting down some logos in cut vinyl (probably Oracal 651) before I clear the floor.

Will the epoxy screw up the vinyl? Is this a bad idea?

ruckusman

It will likely delaminate if it takes any impacts

If you check a sample of the coating on some vinyl, once it cures it will likely peel straight off

BTW I don't know any of this for certain, but from using epoxy resin for surfboards, I know that it will peel cleanly from almost any plastic once it's set.

Good thing about epoxy is that it doesn't have as nasty a chemistry as some other resins, I've printed aqueous inkjet ink onto rice paper and used that as transfers onto surfboards and the epoxy didn't attack the inks, it doesn't attack solvent based acrylic paint either, so your inks will likely be safe from attack.

peace out

ruckusman

Forgot to mention if there is any MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) in your ink make sure it's dried completely before applying the resin as MEK attack epoxy.

One last consideration, the vinyl may reject the epoxy and it will pool like water on a waxed surface

visual800

place lettering on floor and scuff it up with scotchpad it sould be fine. We have done decals used on bar tops and basketball courts without problems

Richard G

We have done some tables in the past and covered with epoxy. We do scuff the surface, but if table is really abused it will fail. these were done in Jan of 05 and are still out there looking good. The wood is also vinyl.
Table-1.jpg

Table-2.jpg

Table-3.jpg

Table-4.jpg

SignManiac

I've produced signs over the years using cast vinyl under automotive clear coat that have held up over ten years out doors.

Urq

Why not just make a mask and paint your logos on the floor then clear over that?

96XP

I've produced signs over the years using cast vinyl under automotive clear coat that have held up over ten years out doors.

+1
I did a dozen table tops, no laminate. Used PPG. Light coats at first till it tacked up, then heavy coats afterwards.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We did some large printed decals for the galley of a Navy ship. They installed and sealed them into the deck. It's been more than a year and they have not gotten back to us with any issues.

wayne k
guam usa