• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SEALITpen vs 3m 3950 edge sealer?

skyhigh

Which have you used? Plus or minus's to each?

One thing I noticed (in the cowboys catalog), the 3m says "Do not apply directly to painted surfaces"......I'm confused.

WrapperX

Sealit Pen SUCKS! I suggest 3M's Primer 94 if you want your edges to stay down.

I found that it didn't do anything. And the pen tip dried out VERY fast! And frankly in the 170+ wraps I've done I've never once had to seal my overlaps/seams and if there was any doubt I used a little primer 94 on the edge of one panel and laid the next panel on top.

And to calm your confusion the Sealit Pen is meant to go ON TOP of your graphics not underneath. Basically to "seal" the edge of one seam to another. But it sucks - don't waste your money.

Haven't used the 3M edge sealer though - like I said - never really found a time to need it. I was given the Sealit pen by the boss and said "Try this out, I heard it's supposed to help with blah blah blah..." So I did. It was useless.

skyhigh

I'm doing a vehicle with signgold & a black shadow. I'm looking to eliminate the white wax buildup around the edges actually.

The sealit pen seemed like it may pose the problems you mentioned....plus its probably a 1/4 oz in a handy applicator.

WrapperX

Not to familar working with signgold so I'm not sure what wax build up you are seeing. All I know is that I was not impressed with the sealit pen for what it's intended purpose - Which I think is useless. IMHO of course.

HulkSmash

what would cause the wax build up. I would strongly suggest not using edge sealer around cut vinyl, it won't do anything for it.

Tony McD

I'm a little confused too.
So far I haven't used the edge seal or primer, but I've read several times that you need to seal the edge of sign gold. Maybe it's a different sealer?

I think the was build up is the wax that gets along the edge of cut vinyl when waxing, and hard to get out.

skyhigh

I'm a little confused too.

Hah, me too.
The fire dept I'm working for, has 2 vehicles that have a clear sealer around the vinyl edges (it is vinyl). If you look in the right light, you can see it was brushed on (or a sealer pen). Their other vehicles do not have this clear sealer, and the white wax buildup really shows around the edges of the vinyl.

I have to admit, the vehicles that use the sealer makes a really nice job. It basically covers / fills in the edge of the vinyl.

Wrapture

I like the pens. Yes they run try very fast, but that's when you refill them with primer94 or frogjuice, clear star, etc ;)

SignosaurusRex

I hate the pens. The only time I ever edge-seal is when using SignGold. I brush on Ditzler DCE 340, the same as I use for Gold Leaf clearcoat. I believe its discontinued but I'm still working off the last 1/2 pint of a gallon I got years ago. Hopefully there is something comparable to use when I run out.

Rooster

I'll use the primer 94 and tape the edges with some extra laminate when I'm doing window perfs. I've never had to bother with it on a painted surface though.

slappy

i just ordered the 3M from fellers and so far i like it :) But i haven't used the huge application ball, i use my small brushes to apply it.

petepaz

i use the 3M edge sealer when i put decals on flatbed trailer bulk heads (they can be rough and beat up from use) usually the company paints them and they want their logo on there so i print lam and use the edge sealer. how much it helps not sure because these guys beat the hell out of the trailers but haven't gotten any complaints that the decals are coming up