• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

seaming question

crny1

Hello,
Normally we dont do vehicle wraps. We have done 4 so far and they are not printed wraps. Just 3m colored. I have a family member that is wanting to wrap his Viper in blue chrome. I noticed that on the viper the hood and the fenders (behind the wheels) are all one piece. Meaning the fenders come up with the hood. How does one accomplish making this look good since the blue chrome I found comes in 48" widths. There is no way to make this all one piece. Whats the process to pull this off to look good? Thanks in advance.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
1. Seams
2. Plan you’re seams to be the least visible
3. Most chromes the seams seam to disappear

And most importantly......
Wrapping with chrome is extremely hard and give that you have only done 4. I’d say that this is way above your experience level. Chrome is not like normal wrap vinyl.

However, good luck and let us know how it turns out

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Other things too

IR heaters
Streamer
2-3 knowledgeable installers. You have to be able to manipulate the vinyl in multiple directions at once given the vehicle you are going to be working on

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
chrome is very very challenging. You will hate life if you only have done 4 cars. I have done hundreds ( of cars) before my first chrome wrap and it was still really hard.
You don't need an IR heater. We had a satin chrome project on a mercedes gt race car and had two IR heaters and it was way too slow and bulky for a bumper wrap. We ended up using two heatguns. One thing for sure: FORGET about torches.
You also need to buy chrome knifeless tape. It has a metal filament in it that cuts chrome a lot cleaner. No other knifeless tape will give you similar results!
Only use avery chrome. Nothing else! if you laminate it you will truly hate the install.

Eric H

You could do stripes where the seams would go.But i agree with everybody else chrome on a viper for your 5th wrap is could be an expensive lesson.

AKwrapguy

Hello,
Normally we dont do vehicle wraps. We have done 4 so far and they are not printed wraps. Just 3m colored. I have a family member that is wanting to wrap his Viper in blue chrome. I noticed that on the viper the hood and the fenders (behind the wheels) are all one piece. Meaning the fenders come up with the hood. How does one accomplish making this look good since the blue chrome I found comes in 48" widths. There is no way to make this all one piece. Whats the process to pull this off to look good? Thanks in advance.
You probably don't want to do this.
But if you do...
Go slow and make sure you have people to help.
You're going to want to buy enough to do the vehicle twice as you will mess up. Chrome can be difficult.
Get the right tools for the job, a wet squeegee is probably going to be your best bet so you don't scratch the hell out of it.
The vehicle itself it probably less than 48" tall so you are going to want to go horizontal not vertical with your panel.
The hood is going to be your biggest issue with a seam. Use a matte color to do a stripe or something also think of the sun glare on Chrome with the driver. You might want to do the whole hood a matte color.

Good luck

ams

In an unrelated reply, from what I've seen the general rule of thumb is a 1/2" seam. For large murals I've seen 1" which works well. But when you do 1/8" and 1/4" it makes a higher visible seam line which is bad. Also never butt the edges together on a vehicle or anything for that matter as they will separate.

crny1

Thanks all,
I am fully aware of the challenges with doing chrome. I have wrapped some smaller pieces in chrome. The family member is well aware there is a huge learning curve and willing to pay for lots of extra to get it done. Money isnt quite a object for them.......
I am not sure they want a stripe of any type but that seems to be the easiest way to conceal the seam. I may have to try and twist their arm alittle.
Thanks for the info so far.

CSOCSO

there is a technique to do large panels but you already have a lot on your hands. the technique is that you butt seam the large areas. and then you wrap the middle piece again but half an inch over the butt seam. this way the seam is truly invisible

CSOCSO

better than

i hope you can understand it. lol