• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Searching for leather textured overlam or printable vinyl

kcorcoran

Premium Subscriber
New to large format printing. Have an HP 310 latex. Since I'm new to getting into all this I don't have a distributor persay. I head over to my local Montroy for stuff but don't yet have an 'account' so getting samples might be tricky.

I'm desperately looking for a textured overlam (or textured printable perm vinyl) to get as close to matching some 40+ year old artwork that was originally screen printed directly onto this textured vinyl(?) material.

20240522_064041.jpg . 20240522_064122.jpg

It's sort of like a fine grain leather I guess.

The closest I've come to it looks like 3M Scotchcal Luster 3645. It's fairly close but not quite.
20240521_143326.jpg

I found another LEATHERPC laminate from Hexis. This might be one I already tried a sample of but I'm not sure. This looks like the right texture pattern but size matters here so I have to try to get a sample. I emailed them directly.
Untitled-2.jpg

This clear overlam from DecoPro looks SUPER close but only comes in 25" wide and my print is about 33" wide so that's out.
e6e5f1ee1732663c_large.png

Drytac has Protac Leather but can't find a photo of it online. Sent them a message.

Aside from these I'm not sure if there's anything else unless there's a printable textured white... even if it wasn't adhesive I could spray the thing down with Spray 77 and install it onto the wood.

If anyone has any ideas or can tell me how I might get about a 5-10 yard sample roll from 3M.. or maybe purchase some by the foot/yard from someone. let me know.

Thanks.

JBurton

Signtologist
A couple of good vinyl manufacturers that will direct ship samples: Substance & nekoosa. (Substance also sells direct, and has great product support. They heard about me having issues on the forum and called me to discuss. I felt bad, kinda talked trash on their naming conventions and website, and he took it all on the chin and shot the sh*t with me for a few about their naming conventions. Slick website, but too much noise to discern the key aspects of a product without getting a headache...)
Substance has a floor graphic laminate that is crazy textured, akin to leather if I recall correctly. (similar to the 3m pic shown)
a 5-10 yard sample roll from 3M..
Don't think that'll happen unless you're a really big existing client. Swatch books that used to be free now have a cost, unless you have a generous distributor, even then, their wrap film swatch book is $25.

kcorcoran

Premium Subscriber
A couple of good vinyl manufacturers that will direct ship samples: Substance & nekoosa. (Substance also sells direct, and has great product support. They heard about me having issues on the forum and called me to discuss. I felt bad, kinda talked trash on their naming conventions and website, and he took it all on the chin and shot the sh*t with me for a few about their naming conventions. Slick website, but too much noise to discern the key aspects of a product without getting a headache...)
Substance has a floor graphic laminate that is crazy textured, akin to leather if I recall correctly. (similar to the 3m pic shown)

Don't think that'll happen unless you're a really big existing client. Swatch books that used to be free now have a cost, unless you have a generous distributor, even then, their wrap film swatch book is $25.
Yeah, we'll see what happens with the 3M stuff.. guy there is talking to purchasing and seeing what they can make happen. honeslty i'd be happy with an 8"x10" sample to test on a print.
I just wish I didn't have to commit to a whole role of it.

Reached out to drytac today and they got back to me quick. that might end with a decent sample.
Going to check out substance's textured stuff and look into nekoosa.

Thanks for replying.

5 yards samples are available from 3M . They do have a page on the graphics site for samples. Since 2020 samples, color books or color bricks are not easy to get. The 3M 2080 color change , Avery Sw900, Orafol 970ra bricks have just become available again but in limited quantities ans yes they are charging for them. The days of getting 2-4 books / bricks of something from or vendors is over.

kcorcoran

Premium Subscriber
I think Hexis has one that has a leather texture.

I tried either Hexis or Viviid (I forget) but the grain was too large. Each cell was closer to 1/4" and the original grain is really small.. without zooming in on it almost looks like a pebble texture.
Drytac is sending me a sample and another forum member is sending me a sample of the 3M stuff so fingers crossed

JBurton

Signtologist

kcorcoran

Premium Subscriber
Well I'll be: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/sample-request/
That said, I could see them sending you something absolutely useless as opposed to a 10ft roll that substance or nekoosa would send over.

Worth a shot. Filled it out. We'll see what happens.
On the other end of the spectrum, Drytac send me a big sample of their leather and 15 feet of optitac facemount film.. all for the price of shipping. Shipped yesterday.
Still looking for a sample of Hexis material. Hexis told me to call distributors. Distributors either dont have any or only sell full rolls. :(