• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Setting up cut lines in onyx thrive

ADVANCED DISPLAY

ADVANCED DISPLAY
So, I just got a new HP R2000 and updated my onyx to thrive. My shop manager is a guy who is set in his ways, but the tech started to show us the cut portion of the RIP software and I’m curious, we use coreldraw, how do I set up cut lines in coreldraw that will be able to be used in onyx to set up my cuts and even repeats maybe?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You make a hairline and use a spot colour that you name in a specific way like "CutContour".
Then Onyx will pick that up as a cut line and won't print it.

Kinda dumb that the tech didn't just tell you that. He should have known the basics.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
You make a hairline and use a spot colour that you name in a specific way like "CutContour".
Then Onyx will pick that up as a cut line and won't print it.

Kinda dumb that the tech didn't just tell you that. He should have known the basics.

Yeah that's crazy. How much are those printers? How little training did they provide for a quarter million dollar machine?

Rants aside, Onyx has some great videos online: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0LHAaeqj26r43CfPYUtAgQ

Here is a good one specifically related to Cut workflows:

Creating CutContour swatches in Corel:

(Depending on which version of Corel you're using, I believe newer versions come w/ Roland palettes...look here: C:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2021\Color\Palettes\Spot\Roland)

*I realize you're not using a Roland, but the naming convention "CutContour" is the same across Roland/Onyx etc.

ONYXtechtips

CutContour is a prefix Onyx uses to identify specific cut paths to send to a cutter. Roll cutters typically would just use one tool and can be identified by creating a spot color in your palette using CorelDraw or Illustrator. We have created a number of swatch libraries that can be imported into your creation software to properly identify paths to be cut depending on your device. Check out this link and scroll to the bottom for the libraries. https://onyxgfx.com/quickset-libraries/

White Haus

Not a Newbie
CutContour is a prefix Onyx uses to identify specific cut paths to send to a cutter. Roll cutters typically would just use one tool and can be identified by creating a spot color in your palette using CorelDraw or Illustrator. We have created a number of swatch libraries that can be imported into your creation software to properly identify paths to be cut depending on your device. Check out this link and scroll to the bottom for the libraries. https://onyxgfx.com/quickset-libraries/

Welcome to the party, Onyx! I'm sure the members will appreciate you being here. :thumb:

johnnysigns

I just went through this on a new R2000+ and a Summa S one plotter. I can screenshot my settings if it's helpful or you run into issues, just send me a message.

ADVANCED DISPLAY

ADVANCED DISPLAY
We
On the other hand you would think someone buying a 250k machine would know how to set up cutlines already :confused:
Yea we've been doing it like animals up till now. It's not that I don't know how to set up cut lines I just hadn't done it IN ONYX before. I got it though, thank you.
Yeah that's crazy. How much are those printers? How little training did they provide for a quarter million dollar machine?

Rants aside, Onyx has some great videos online: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0LHAaeqj26r43CfPYUtAgQ

Here is a good one specifically related to Cut workflows:

Creating CutContour swatches in Corel:

(Depending on which version of Corel you're using, I believe newer versions come w/ Roland palettes...look here: C:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2021\Color\Palettes\Spot\Roland)

*I realize you're not using a Roland, but the naming convention "CutContour" is the same across Roland/Onyx etc.
Yea well they've got a tech following up for a week's training usually a month after it's installed for the in depth stuff which is good, because I have the cut stuff figured out, printing white is still bit confusing but we've almost got it figured out. is it too much to ask for a tech working on or with a machine of mine to have actual print/sign industry experienced? A frame of reference maybe?

Shoutout to the demo guy from Grimco in Chicago, Neil. That guys awesome!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
We

Yea we've been doing it like animals up till now. It's not that I don't know how to set up cut lines I just hadn't done it IN ONYX before. I got it though, thank you.

Yea well they've got a tech following up for a week's training usually a month after it's installed for the in depth stuff which is good, because I have the cut stuff figured out, printing white is still bit confusing but we've almost got it figured out. is it too much to ask for a tech working on or with a machine of mine to have actual print/sign industry experienced? A frame of reference maybe?

Shoutout to the demo guy from Grimco in Chicago, Neil. That guys awesome!
Did the tech share you this? It just got the basics but easy to share to designers.