• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SGIA - Anyone find any cool new Tools, Techniques, or Technology

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Image1Impact has a new version of the Wrap Cut Knife with a special coating that slides like butter between the liner and vinyl. The new version has a black textured coating. I picked up one and it is awesome. I had the Yellotools version (body guard knife) and gave up on it after the glass tape stopped working.

Robivers.com has a new version of the magnetic squeegees with the Wet Edge squeegee felt on one side as well.

When I start doing a lot more wraps I'm going to need an IR heater as well. I saw how easy it was to preheat large areas of vinyl and pre-stretch the corners of a bumper.

I didn't have a lot of time to walk the show so share your experiences.

CES020

I think everyone that went either stayed, or can't remember going :)

Anything eye catching there? I was fascinated by the giant flatbeds running conveyor systems when I went to ISA earlier in the year.

If anyone went to both the ISA and SGIA, I'd like to hear the differences in shows? We'll do one of them next year and just trying to decide which one to do.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I has been at least 8 years since I went to ISA but I remember the big difference was ISA has a lot LED billboards and SGIA has garment stuff instead.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
That is pretty cool. It would be even better if it was cordless and took my 12 volt Ridgid batteries.

Big House Signs

I want that rotorazer! But there is no place on the site to buy new blades...I'm concerbened about that. I would definitly buy extra on my initial order.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
No, Rob taught me 15 years ago so he taught an expert/advanced class and I taught the beginning/intermediate class. My first experience teaching but I enjoyed it.

I didn't have any time to walk the show floor and wanted to see if I missed anything new.

The wrap cut knife is really cool. The one posted is the old version. The new version will be slightly more and have a black non-stick coating.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We've been using a VERY similar knife for slitting backing paper for a while, but it was sold under YelloTools.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I have the yellotools bodyguard knife as well and got tired of messing with and replacing the glass tape. When it wears out the tool sticks to the vinyl. Only time will tell how the baked on coating on the image1impact wrap cut knife holds up.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
This doesn't really have to do with the show, but the black coating you mentioned reminded me of some scissors I recently got off Amazon. They're a little over $30 but when cutting a lot of double-sided tape or anything that would gum up a normal pair of scissors, these things are life savers.

I wonder if it's the same coating as on the slitter.

link

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
It's different Moze. The coating is a textured coating like line-x but hard like a powder coating. Whatever it is it works great.

OldPaint

That is pretty cool. It would be even better if it was cordless and took my 12 volt Ridgid batteries.
this being a power corded tool......is good. having it be battery powered would increase the total weight and handling........as that is why you would buy one of these like i said LIGHTWEIGHT, MANEUVERABLE... AND 3400 rpm.
i also wondered about replacement blades for this..........
i have RYOBI 18V lithium..........DRILL, 5" SAW, RECIP. love the RYOBI LINE so many thing run off same 18v battery. wife wanted a screw drill of her own ........since i got RYOBI, she bought the 12V compact drill/driver. only problem i have with it its not a 3/8" chuck. i tried to put a 3/8" drill bit in it.....NOPE.... holes to small)))
BUT I WAS IMPRESSED with it power for 12V.........3" deck screw into 50 year old "pensacola pine" 2 X 8 floor joist..BURIED THE HEAD in the wood!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• ryobi12v.jpg
    ryobi12v.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 123

the graphics co

No, Rob taught me 15 years ago so he taught an expert/advanced class and I taught the beginning/intermediate class. My first experience teaching but I enjoyed it.

I didn't have any time to walk the show floor and wanted to see if I missed anything new.

The wrap cut knife is really cool. The one posted is the old version. The new version will be slightly more and have a black non-stick coating.

I took Rob's class at the show, i think we met. I was there on thursday, tall guy with bright orange shoes.

Dice

Sgia

This year everything was dye-sub. Seemed like Everyone and their mother was selling Die-Sub related stuff. Zero LED stuff this year.

Roland has a new Hybrid Flatbed. Very slow, 2-4 boards and hour.
Efi discontinued their Q series, and have a new H series with a smaller cheaper unit.
Zund showed off an automatic robot arm offloading cut pieces for high run jobs.
Esko has a new large table and a completely new iCUT.
Mimaki has the new JV300, replacement for the JV33. 2x faster.
Kern was there showing off their laser etching and cutting tables.
Blackman and White were there showing off their large Laser table cutting fabrics.
CET is a bit bigger this year, has some impressive smaller printers.
Agfa has nothing new. Still showing the Gandi's. Largest booth at the show, next to HP.
HP is still selling the FB700 and FB500, still nothing mid range. They had their $1.3 Million press the Scitex 15000, and Latex Printers.
Most all of the screen printing sections were showing off the same stuff.
Kermit had some impressive direct to t-Shirt printers.
There were a few companies selling Automatic screen equipment for high run flexible materials and printable electronics. I don't remember seeing that before. Seemed a bit out of place.

Most all of the Chinese and Korean printers seemed to be showing off the same stuff. Didn't pay that much attention to them.

All that i can think of off the top of my head that's new.

I found no new ground breaking items at the show.