• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shopping Center Wall Murals- Need Help

Edserv

We've recently found a niche in designing and applying wall murals to decorate vacant tenant spaces in some local shopping centers here in Hawaii.

The reason I mention Hawaii is because the sun has caused havoc on some of the prior murals (applied by other sign companies,) and we've had to repair and re-apply some of our work. The past murals normally bubble and start to fall off the substrate, which has been everything from plywood to flat and glossy painted drywall. Our longest projects have lasted about 18 months before showing similar defects.

We just completed our most recent application using Arlon and Overlaminate, so we're hoping this lasts. We've also been advised to use the 3M Stress Kit.

I was hoping someone may have experience with this in similar conditions. I would rather find a vinyl that works on almost any substrate than having to test each and every wall surface. It seems that it's been "hit or miss" as we've successfully applied exterior and interior vinyl that seems to have no problem at all. Also, just fyi, the sun here heats the vinyl as we apply it and it's crazy how much it can stretch and then shrink during the colder months.

Aloha,
Edserv

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have a client who specializes in that application and he has tried just about every type of vinyl and he has had the best results using the General Formulations 203 Gloss Permanent Adhesive with a 3.5Mil Matte House Brand Laminate.